A Hairy Tale


 Two years ago yesterday, March 8, 2020 (it was a Sunday), I got my hair cut and colored (yes, I admit it, I lighten my hair).  Why is this memory important to me?  Why do I remember it at all?  That's today story...

It had been a while since I had gotten my hair cut.  I can't remember when I had last gone in, but I DO remember that I was hoping to get an appointment with my stylist (who was and is a friend) towards the end of March.  The annual Beatles convention was slotted for the end of the month and so I wanted to have "fresh cut" hair.  However, he said he was completely booked for the month of March.  The only time he had available was Sunday morning.  So I took it.

He wore a mask while he colored and cut my hair.  (I think he asked if I minded.  I didn't, but I did think it was "strange" at the time.  Little did I realize that he was way ahead of the curve.)  When he finished, we said goodbye.  That was 2 years ago.  I haven't seen him in person since.  (I have seen him and chatted with him on social media).  He "retired" from the business.

As we all know (or I hope we know, depending on when you actually read this), the pandemic came roaring in right after that.  The world shut down.  Healthcare workers were lauded; grocery store workers and truckers were deemed essential.  (They always were; we just didn't know it.)  Everyday life became a challenge.

Months went by.  My  husband cut my son's hair.  (Now that was fun.)  The school year ended with students never returning to the classroom and the class of 2020 graduated virtually.

By September I really needed a hair cut.  Since my stylist was out of the picture, I asked him to recommend someone.   I did not want to go to a big salon (as I had in the past), I wanted something small and (in my mind) safe.  He recommended a small business, and I made an appointment.

It was a bit odd.  I wore a mask; she wore a mask.  If I recall correctly we were the only ones in the shop.  I just got a cut because I didn't think a color would be possible.  She did a nice job and I decided that I would use Sun In (yes, it STILL exists) to lighten my hair a bit.  And that's what I did from 2020 till March 8, 2022.

I was SUPPOSED to get a cut and a color in December, but that month turned out to be a train wreck.  I had to cancel and didn't manage to get around to rescheduling until last month.

Last night, for the first time, I walked into the shop maskless.  It was the first time my new stylist saw my whole face and the first time I saw hers.  How strange to have been a client for just under two years and have never completely seen each other.

As mine was the last appointment of the day, we were the only ones there.  It was quiet; it was peaceful.  In an hour or so, I walked out with shorter, blonder hair.  I felt good.  It had been two years to the day.


Life is somewhat normal again.  (At least in my part of the world, which brings up a whole other topic.  That's a post for another day.)  Let's hope it stays that way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES