October 30, 2020: Random And Mischievous Thoughts

It's the day before Halloween and tonight is usually considered (at least around here) Mischief Night.  There usually isn't too much mischief around here.  Usually my front tree would get tangled in t.p.  The culprit I know wanted me to think it was local kids, but I KNEW who it was and the adult who was behind it has moved away, so I don't know if it will happen this year.  The only reason I found it annoying at all was that it would obscure the decorations we already had in the tree and often the t.p. would get wet...and removing wet t.p...well, YUCK.

Who knows what Halloween will actually look like this year?  If this was a "normal"  year I'd be prepping with lots of candy.  A Saturday night being Halloween?  That just screams kids running all over the place.  This year; doubtful.  We live on a dead end which is rarely visited.  And I wonder do I hand out candy this year (I do have some along with some non-edible treats because of the teal pumpkin project which I have written about in years past: https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2015/10/what-color-is-your-pumpkin.html).  Trick or treating has not been banned in town.  The recommendation is to spread the candy out on a table so kids can just pick up one but is that going to happen?  I guess I won't know until tomorrow.

What I do know is that a lot of people have been decorating their homes/lawns this season; definitely more so than usual.  Our lawn is my son's domain and is worth taking a look at.



It's a nice display, but I've noticed that many people have taken it up a notch.  Displays are themed and detailed.  It's impressive and I'm guessing that people are doing whatever they can to be creative.  Maybe there won't be any door to door candy grabbing, but I've enjoyed driving or walking around town and seeing what's been put up.  Some are elaborate, some not so.  (The floating ghost in the alcove of a home a few blocks away is simple, but very effective at night.)  I've noticed more people walking down my block and checking out the decorations.  There are several of us who have put various items up.  Of course my neighbor 3 doors up is usually the most elaborate; he's toned it down a bit this year (He's an EMT so I have to wonder if he's a little too busy and/or stressed out to go all in) but I do adore the giant inflatable Frankenstein that greets you at his front door.

This year Halloween may be spooky, but the "real world" is much scarier.  Here we are in the 7th (?) month of the pandemic.  We've reached NINE MILLION cases of the virus in the country and there have been over 225,000 deaths.  And that's just in the USA.  The whole world is affected, but we are leading the way when it comes to death and illness.  What I find scary is that people still aren't taking it seriously.  Come on people, just wear the damned mask!  (And make sure you cover your nose too...once again when I was in the supermarket this morning I saw too many non-grocery store employees with their noses sticking out.  COVER YOUR NOSE.)  I don't want to get sick.  I don't want YOU to get sick.  PLEASE follow the common sense guidelines.  While getting Covid-19 is not a death sentence for everyone; it IS for many.  And we are still learning about this virus and the long terms effects it can have on your health.  When in doubt; err on the side of caution.  The life you save could be your own.

Another thing scarier than Halloween this year is the upcoming election.  I have already cast my vote:  https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2020/10/letter-from-board-of-elections.html  and https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2020/10/voting-making-it-great.html).  I encourage you to follow your conscious and do so as well.  Cast your ballot for the persons that you think  will best fit your needs as well as the needs of your community and our nation.   As always, PLEASE do your research; one size does not fit all when it comes to this election so make sure you know exactly WHAT and WHO you are voting for.   Because of the pandemic,  voting does look different this year.  You don't have to wait for "the day".  You can mail in your ballot (although time is running  out and if your vote is not delivered in time it may not be counted; again do your research).  You can put it in a drop box.  (Which is what I did.) You can vote in person on the actual day, or even earlier.  (Again this depends on where you live.)  If you are going in person, remember to be cautious...wear a mask, be socially distance...you should know the drill by now.  Most importantly, however you cast your vote, DO NOT let anyone intimidate you.  Vote for who YOU feel will best lead.  Any threats you get be it via email, snail mail or in person should be reported.    Your voice and vote in this election (and indeed in every election) is more important than gold; don't let anyone steal it from you.

Finally, as I finish up writing this disjointed post today; it is windy, raining AND snowing!  Yes, flakes are coming down here in NJ!  It's not sticking (thank goodness) like it did in October of 2011 
Yes, that's what it looked like in 2011.  Of course it was worse in 2012 when we didn't have snow, but a SUPERSTORM that pretty wiped out the Jersey Shore. (And if you think it's fully "recovered" 8 years later, you'd be wrong.)  We were "lucky" in my area (as lucky as you could be), but still schools were shut down as the power was out for most of the town for...I can't even remember how long.   April may be the cruelest month  (after all that's when taxes are due...and when you SHOULD pay your due), but October proves time and time again to be one of the scariest and not just because of Halloween.

So let me wrap this disjoined post up by encouraging you all NOT go get into any mischief tonight or any night.  Stay warm.  Stay safe.  Stay strong.  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Moving