The Virus Diary: Summer Planning?

The school year (as it is) is almost over.  Summer (officially) is just about here.  (Even though it's felt like some on some days; and on others we're feeling barely into spring.)  So now what?

Every year I have a plan.  I am a planner.  It makes me feel like I am in control.  (Because I KNOW I am not in control, but I like to give myself the illusion of control.  That may or may not make sense, but...)  My summer plans are usually in place by the beginning of the new year.  In some cases I start planning for the next summer before the current summer is over.

I DID have plans.  They may not have been as  well planned out as I would have liked, but I did have plans.  My son was traveling to the Galapagos Islands with a group from school.  He was going to be away for his birthday, so I made plans for us to go away for the 4th of July weekend to celebrate a month early.  (We usually go to Skytop Lodge for his birthday.)  I tried to come up with a way for him to go to camp for a week (working around our July 4th family vacation and his trip).  I counted on him spending some time with both sets of his grandparents and wondered where my in-laws might take him this year.  (They've traveled to some wonderful places over the past 6 or so years.  Of course I expected more this year!)  Now almost all of this is off the table.  (Our trek to Skytop is still on; although seriously modified...which if nothing else should make for an interesting blog post.)

What now?

School is over next Friday.  Other than a few days in the Poconos I have NOTHING on the books for my son.  (Other than one dental appointment.)  I've asked HIM to think about what he'd like to do, but I don't know if he'll follow through.  In my mind spending hours every day on Snapchat is NOT an option.  He has been gardening; and unlike his mother he is good at that, but there's only so much you can do.  He is into fashion and has been altering clothing, but again, that only fills up so much time.  Finally, he DOES have summer reading to do; a book of his choosing  (All Quiet On the Western Front), but that's not going to keep him occupied for the entire summer.  (And unless I really push/nag he won't read anything else.)

I don't know if a job is possible this summer.  He doesn't have working papers, yet.  (I've just emailed the person I've been told to contact this morning.  I never had any papers...but then again I was a teen eons ago AND I made my money by babysitting.)

What now?   (And as I write, this is the tune that is going through my head:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gtnfP2YVS0)

Summer 2020 is currently looking like:  
  • Me working from home 5 days a week in a non-air conditioned office.  (Although that could change and my office could re-open.  I'm not sure where I stand on that.  While an office with A/C and actual regular interaction with co-workers would be most welcome, I'm a little apprehensive about all the other people in the building who I do not work with and the communal bathrooms on each floor.)
  • Continued construction going on next door (right next to my office window, but let's face it even if I move my work station to another area in the house it's still going to be loud; even if I move to our bedroom and turn on the A/C window unit.)
  • My son with nothing to do.  (You KNOW this is going to be an issue.)
  • Me with absolutely NO CONTROL (or illusion of control) over anything.
This just might be the first summer I DON'T like.  And I LOVE summer.  Maybe it's a good thing that I just placed another MEGA order at Total Wine & More?  (Maybe that order won't even get me through to the 4th of July?)

So what now?  Other than drink my wine and listen to  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gtnfP2YVS0 I have no real plans!  WHAT NOW?!?!?

Suggestions from fellow insane planners WITH plans (or even without) are welcome.  (And really needed!)  So send 'em in.

And, as always, stay safe and stay well!



Comments

  1. I know in FL a lot of summer camps are open this summer but I know each state is different...what about him volunteering somewhere if he doesn't get a job? I don't know how hard of a struggle that would be to get him to do?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES