The Gray Cold of Winter

I have never been a fan of winter.  Sure the white snow is beautiful during the Christmas season, but once we hit the New Year, I am OVER it.  And cold is just not my thing.  I'm the kind of person who feels the cold deep inside and then can't seem to warm up.  It just seems to me that during January and February most days are gray and cold.  Who wants to deal with that?  Not me!

Then we have the threat of snow and ice.  Is there anyone out there who LIKES to shovel?  I don't mind it so much in the beginning, but after 10 minutes...Cold and aching I just want to hop into a warm shower.  And with each storm, I know that more is on the horizon.  (This week/weekend we are being warned of two back to back storms that is going to bring unknown amounts of snow, rain and ice.  Talk about a fun weekend!)

Is it any surprise that depression creeps in on even the happiest of people during the winter?

Top that off with our country's recent state of affairs...who isn't feeling the dread. How secure is our country?  Forget the wall...there is so much more than that!   The government shutdown affects us all in ways that we might not even think of.  I'm not even a government employee and I'm feeling uneasy about financial matters. 

Simply put, it is not a great time of year for me.  But I don't think I'm alone.  And that COULD be the thing that gets me (and perhaps you as well) through this cold, gray time.

We are NOT alone.  We are all in the same space.  Even though that space may be uncomfortable and filled with the dread of the unknown, we are NOT alone. 

During this time of uncertainty, we need to find and make connections.  We need to be "brave" and reach out to one another.  We need to share and support.  Be kind and let kindness into your life.

A friend of mine recently posted something that I felt was so profound, I had to "steal" it (ok...I'm borrowing it and thanking her for it.)  "I remember very well how hard it was for me to receive random acts of kindness when I was going through..... I also remember very well what these acts taught me. Give because you want to give. Reach out because you want to reach out. Do what you think is best to do. Love your neighbor. And, most importantly, when those gifts are sent your way, soak them in and accept them. Let people in. Today, I sent a special random act of kindness to someone I don’t know and I hope she will accept it and believe in the power of angels. Paying it forward matters."

I've taken her words as a gift.  And as a reminder.  During this time of unease, give as you can, but also receive.  Offer help, but don't be afraid or embarrassed to receive it as well.

We are NOT alone. It may seem that way, but just as we travel through the gray cold of winter, we MUST remember that  just  as spring WILL come and new things will blossom, we will also find ourselves surrounded by those of who wish us well, if only we look.  Like the warms of the sun, these things may seem so far off; out of our reach and unattainable.  They are not.

We will get through this winter.  We will get through it together.

When the cold gray surrounds you; reach out for the warm embrace of someone.  There IS someone who wants to embrace you.  Someone who needs it as much as you.  And there IS someone who needs your embrace just as much as you need theirs.


Give and receive...Do not ignore the gray, but accept it with the knowledge that it is just passing.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES