Leave My Elf Out Of It

We're not too far into the Christmas season (the crazy season) and already I'm seeing tons of elf bashing on social media.  I get why some people are against the concept as they see it; Big Brother (or in this case little elf) is watching you and if you are not good...But I never saw it as that.  Ralph (that's our elf) was never meant to be a scary spy tactic.  Nor was he a pawn in my own social media maniacal frenzy, where he got into elaborate poses/scenes.  (Although I did "allow" him to get into some moderately amusing hijinks.)  For me and my family, he is just part of pre-holiday fun and preparation. 

With that said, I'm not about to go bashing any parent who does or does NOT participate in the whole elf phenomenon.  Parenting is the hardest job a person can take on.  I'm not going to criticize.  (At least not now...who knows how long I will be able to take the high road!)

Putting all that aside, I know my son is way past the whole elf thing.  I can't remember if Ralph even made an appearance last year.  (Ok, he did because I dug around and I found a photo from last year so...)  It has been my hope that my son would become part gag and I'd find Ralph in places that I didn't expect.  That hasn't happened yet; although my husband has become more involved in the "process" this year as Ralph moves from one spot to another without my knowledge. 

Ralph has always represented for us, the fun of the season.  A time of year that SHOULD be reflective and calm, but rarely is.  We all need a giggle now and then, and as the year winds down I find that I need laughter more than ever.

Which is one of the reasons why I mentioned to The Mensch On the Bench to my Mother-In-Law.  I am proud/happy to say that my MiL is just as wonderfully wacky as I am.  (Ok, let's be completely frank; my immediate and extended family are nutballs in the nicest sense of the word.  I am proud of it.)  I mentioned that it would be cool for her grandson to have. 

Although my son and I are Presbyterians, my in-laws are Jewish.  My husband is non-practicing, but he comes from that tradition.  As such, we do try to honor that.  When we got together, I wanted a menorah.  My MiL was happy to provide.  (It's electronic; how non-traditional is that?)  We try to light at sundown for the 8 days, but sometimes we have to fudge it a little.  (Like the year that the first night of Hanukkah also happened to be Christmas Eve!) 

I also like to get my husband, and now son, a little gift for the first night of Hanukkah.  It's never anything "major."  This year they each got a very cool pair of socks. (From the Sesame Street Collection of Bombas).  My son is an exceedingly cool kid; he was excited by the socks and he's already worn them once.  (I'll admit that I got myself two pairs...But it Bombas...I'm giving to myself and also giving back so it's all good!)

My MiL had also sent along a package from my son for the first night of Hanukkah.  You know what it was right?

We took our new friend out of the box, but not out of his packaging.  He was looking very comfortable on his bench...why should we change that?  My son read the book that comes with him (stumbling over some of the words...he's never had a latke so you can't blame him.) and you know what?  It was a good education for us all; even if it was a little silly.

Our Mensch sits on his bench, not far from our Menorah.  And guess what?  He's been joined by our elf, Ralph.

Why shouldn't they sit together?  To me, they are a reminder of the season and bring a smile to my face. 

When the holiday is over, they both will go away to their respective "homes."  But I fully expect both to return next year.  As a matter of fact, I will look forward to it.

Elf or Mensch; bring a holiday cheer is most definitely needed by us all.

(And if you've been following along for the past years; we still do bring out our Poop Snoop each year as well:  https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2016/12/a-little-holiday-cheer-from-sowmad.html.  Any guests who need to use the bathroom are in for a surprise!)


Comments

  1. Great post, I think they look quite comfortable sitting together!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES