The First Sunday In Advent: Hope



As we enter this pre-Christmas season called Advent, I looked over the lectionary passages for this first Sunday in Advent:   Jeremiah 33:14-16  • Psalm 25:1-10  •  1 Thessalonians 3:9-13  •  Luke 21:25-36.  Though I am usually a New Testament gal, the two Old Testament passages spoke to me:

Jeremiah 33:14-16 The days are surely coming, says the LORD, when I will fulfill the promise I made to the house of Israel and the house of Judah.  In those days and at that time I will cause a righteous Branch to spring up for David; and he shall execute justice and righteousness in the land.  In those days Judah will be saved and Jerusalem will live in safety. And this is the name by which it will be called: "The LORD is our righteousness."

Psalm 25:1-10
To you, O LORD, I lift up my soul. O my God, in you I trust; do not let me be put to shame; do not let my enemies exult over me.  Do not let those who wait for you be put to shame; let them be ashamed who are wantonly treacherous.  Make me to know your ways, O LORD; teach me your paths.  Lead me in your truth, and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all day long. Be mindful of your mercy, O LORD, and of your steadfast love, for they have been from of old.  Do not remember the sins of my youth or my transgressions; according to your steadfast love remember me, for your goodness' sake, O LORD!  Good and upright is the LORD; therefore he instructs sinners in the way. He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble his way.  All the paths of the LORD are steadfast love and faithfulness, for those who keep his covenant and his decrees.

These words speak to me of a hopeful future.  The past does NOT have to define us.  We need to recognize that the past is imperfect, but that there IS hope for a better future.  

This is especially true as the year wraps up.  The days are shorter/darker and generally colder.  For most of us the stress level starts to go up.  There can be an unreasonable amount of (self) pressure.  There may be a feeling of dread.  All completely normal and understandable.

Think not of the past, but of the future.  Things that are, will NOT always be.  When I need hope, I think of my son and of his friends.  Young adults who are kind and compassionate; not because they "have to" but because they ARE.  And they are not alone.  There are good people; young and old, all around us.  Look and see.  Know that there is hope.

Remember that there IS Hope.  There is NOT perfection.  There IS Hope.

Breath.

Care for yourself...you are worth it.

Allow yourself to have hope this advent.  Push aside the doom and gloom; sweep it out of your system as you would cobwebs in the corner.

Do not despair.  There is Hope.  The darkness will not last forever; the light will come again.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES