Wrapping Up the Year and Heading to 51

Fifty is coming to an end and I'm about to turn fifty one.  Yikes!  Somehow that seems more like a "steady" number.  While fifty was a milestone, fifty one is REALITY.  Look lady, you're really middle aged now, there's NO denying it.  You're not fifty; you're fifty ONE!

So what has this first year of my half century brought?

Well, certainly not weight loss.  Remember how I was trying to lose weight before I turned fifty?  I'm still trying (half-heartedly most times).  I've lost and I've found.  Finding pounds is the ONLY thing that I seem to find easily.  Everything else is easy to loose:  keys, glasses, shoes, jewelry, that blouse that goes so well with my gray skirt, and of course, my sanity. (If only finding my sanity was as easy as finding those extra pounds I'd be the poster child for mental health!)

I've had some really great times in year 50.  There was the family trip to Disney World (detailed thoughts of which can be found under the July 2016 section of this blog, starting with:  http://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2016/07/thoughts-on-disney-world-vacation-part.html).  I've for the most part forgotten about the bad sides (like how my husband and I both got colds) and remember the fun:  doing late night extra magic hours with my son at Hollywood Studios after watching the Star Wars fireworks/light show will always stand out as a high light.  There was also an autumn trip/long weekend to Skytop Lodge (http://www.skytop.com/) which is always relaxing and a treat.  (Especially for my clothing conscious son who loves dressing for dinner.)

Then there was a new job.  Started right after the Disney trip.  It's been a busy and crazy ride, but I am still loving it (for the most part).  Is it perfect?  Nothing is.  But when the worst part of your job is traffic on the highway, things are pretty good.  There have been quite a few changes since I started, but I hope that I am here to stay.

My fifty year has brought some "challenges" too.  (Notice how I'm still trying to stay positive and not say problems...look what I have learned in 50 years!)  There is no way life is going to be smooth sailing with a hormonal pre-teen in your house. (I don't care if it's a girl or a boy.)  We had our issues.  We had tears.  We had yelling.  We hit some pretty rocky waters.  I think/hope that we've come out on the other side stronger.  While the school year will end on not the best of academic notes, progress HAS been made, and it's important to note that.  It's always important for me to remember, that when I slack off, so does my son.  I need to stay on top of things, so that he learns HE needs to stay on top of things. "Wait and see" never leads to anything good; we've learned that the hard way.  (And not just when it comes to academics.)  Here's hoping NEXT year will be a better one, although it definitely won't be an "easier" as each grade will offer new trials and tests.  I've learned schooling isn't just for the kids, it's for the parents too.

So what have I learned now that I am wrapping up this first year of the new half century?  Older now, I have some words of wisdom...(and they are not just "let it be.")"

  • For every high, there's going to be a low.  Know it and do your best to go with it.
  • We all need breaks; take them!
  • But don't let things slide...slacking off never leads to anything good.
  • Remember the above when you're tired and want to slack off.
  • A kind word goes a long way...longer than you will ever know.  So share those kind words, even if you don't necessarily feel like it.
  •  When the shit hits the fan (and it will), don't try to point the fan in the other direction.  Turn it off and clean it up.
  • If your work is not your passion, at least try to be passionate about your work.
  • Take care of yourself.  You ARE worth it.  You are ALWAYS worth it.
  • Don't be an ass.  But when you ARE an ass, admit it.  Repeat.
  • We come in all shapes, sizes and colors, but when you get down to it, we're all made of the same stuff.  We just can't see it.  But we can know it.  Know it.  We are all made of the same stuff...we're all just sequenced a little differently.
  • There's never enough time, so use what you have wisely.  When you don't, remember to try again.
  • There's never enough money.  Use what you have wisely.  
  • Nobody knows it all.  Don't believe the person that says they do.
  • You ARE good enough, but there will be plenty of times when you feel that you're not.  When that time comes, find a friend.  They'll let you know how good you are.
  • There is no such thing as clean underwear...except for the underwear that is still in the package.


With less than 24 hours left of 50, here's to #51!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES