Another Day...Another Shooting?

It's the morning of June 15, 2017.  So far, now news of any gun violence...but there is a full day ahead of us. 

Yesterday, the news carried two stories of shootings:  one in Alexandria, VA at a Congressional baseball practice and one at a UPS building in San Francisco, CA.  Of course those were just the stories that made the national news.  Gun violence is on the rise in our country, which I'm sure comes as no surprise to anyone.  But the below statistics from the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence should.  (And if you don't know how and why the Brady Campaign started, Google James Brady.)

Every day, 93 people die from gun violence: 
·         32 are murdered
·         58 kill themselves
·         1 are killed unintentionally
·         1 is killed by police intervention
·         1 intent unknown.
·         159 shot in an assault
·         11 survive a suicide attempt
·         43 are shot unintentionally
·         3 are shot in a police intervention

Thankfully my personal life has not been affected by gun violence and I pray that it never will.  But that's not to say it's not on my mind.  And in light of this I wanted to write something profound or at least common sense.  
I'd like to think that I am a good (or at least decent) writer, but the words just wouldn't come.  I couldn't think of the "right" thing to say.  So I'm not going to say anything.  But I am going to encourage you to read this:
I might not have the words, but Ms. Giffords certainly does.  So perhaps the best that I can do is share.  And say a prayer that we, as a nation, can work together so that statistics like those above will diminish instead of expand.

(Information on the Brady Campaign can be found:  http://www.bradycampaign.org/)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Moving