Cup of Coffee?

It's been all over the internet, so I'm going to join the hoards and talk about Starbucks too.  

I haven't been to Starbucks in a long time.  It has less to do with the color of their cups than the fact that there is currently no Starbucks on my direct route to work AND their coffee is darned expensive.  And let's be completely honest, nobody really goes for a cup of coffee.  We go there for a caramel macchiato or Caramel Brulée Latte or Iced Chestnut Praline Latte. 

Back in the day when I was a true Starbucks fan (when I had some cash to burn), I even had a Starbucks Card.  (The true reason might have something to do with the fact that Paul McCartney had his face on one at the time.)  I'd go in and buy my cafe mocha, or if it was AFTER Thanksgiving, a peppermint white chocolate mocha.  (Obviously Jesus was a big Mocha Latte fan as it is written in 3 Corinthians 15: 59-62:  "Thou shall only drink Pumpkin Spice from Labor Day weekend, or the first of September, whichever comes first through Thanksgiving.  After which thou shall be allowed to partake of the Peppermint Mocha, Gingerbread and/or Eggnog until  Epiphany at which time you may no longer partake of any seasonal/specialty coffee blends of Christmastide.")  But I no longer go to Starbucks and while cost and convenience have a big part in the reason behind it, the color of their cups has nothing to do with my informal boycott/protest. The true reason is very simple, the barista at the Starbucks on my way to work hooked me on Maple Macchiatos and then the store cruelly took them away; they have never returned.  (Not even during "maple" season, although I'm not 100% sure of when maple season might be.)  IF Maple Macchiato ever DID return, I would consider ending my boycott and go out of my may to get a venti, even though it might sting my wallet a bit.



While we are on the topic of coffee, I am not just protesting Starbucks.  Dunkin Donuts is also guilty of a cruel crime.  While this season they are still using appropriate holiday cup ware (because sipping a snickerdoodle latte out of a Styrofoam cup with Joy printed on it makes Jesus a happy Savior), and the appropriate seasonal flavors (peppermint mocha, sugar cookie), they discontinued (again after "hooking" me), their red velvet latte.  Now I realize that this is not red velvet season (obviously that comes after Epiphany and ends after Valentine's Day), but they failed to bring it back during the appropriate season after flaunting it the season before.  (I'd also like to point out that Dunkin Donuts created a serious infraction by introducing its Pumpkin Spice at the end of August; a serious no-no.)

So as a "good Christian" I'm unofficially boycotting both Starbucks AND Dunkin Donuts, not because of the holiday cup controversy, but because they clearly have overstepped the bounds of the seasons (both currently have holiday offerings and it isn't even Thanksgiving yet; heresy!)  I'm sure my savior would agree that along with feeding the hungry, clothing the naked and tending to the poor and lonely that having the appropriate seasonal coffee beverage is of the utmost importance.


(And if you ARE seriously offended by any cup ware offered by ANY coffee establishment, might I suggest you turn your corporate card with all its bonus points and cash values over to someone truly needy.  I have it on good authority that they don't really care what the color of their beverage cup is.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Moving