Happy July 2nd!

Although we won't be celebrating for 2 more days, July 2nd is the actual day that independence was voted on by Congress in 1776.  (Which also happens to be the title of one of my favorite musicals and the source of much of my historical knowledge about the time.  Despite being a musical, it is very historically accurate.)

As John Adams said in his July 3, 1776 letter to his wife Abigail:  "The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more. You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not."  (This quote is taken directly from The Book of Abigail and John: Selected Letters of the Adams Family, 1762-1784; hence the unusual spellings)

So, although we may celebrate on Friday, take a moment today to remember the men who bravely voted to declare their independence today, July 2nd.  We wouldn't be here today without them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES