St. Patrick's Day and Spring

Both are right around the corner...and I am truly thankful.

After the bitter cold and snowy winter that most of us have experienced (and if you haven't be grateful), we need a little celebrating.

While St. Patrick's Day is traditionally "Irish", why can't we all celebrate this year with the wearing of the green?  When I look out my window and see still see piles of snow (and what isn't snow covered is brown and barren), I know I could stand to add some green to my life.  To me the green shamrock is a sign of life and growth.  (And yes, I know traditionally it's said that this little plant was used to St. Patrick to explain the holy trinity).  Don't we all need a sign that life is about to begin again with the coming of the spring (and hopefully warm weather)?

I've been counting down the days till spring since our first December storm.  Now the official start is almost in my grasp.  I am hopeful that the weather will recognize the official date and bring us sun and warmth.  Not just so that the plants can grow, but so that I can grow too!  Is there anyone out there who does not feel better when they feel the sunlight on their face and see the buds start to peep their heads up from the ground?

When I think of St. Patrick's Day and March 20th, I feel hope.  I know that this brutal winter is finally on it's way out.  That I might soon be able to put those bulky winter coats away.  (After a visit to the dry cleaners, since this has been such a winter that everything is covered in dirt.)  That I might soon be finished with turtleneck season and into short sleeves.  That I might finally be able to pull out my Adirondack chairs from the garage and sit outside and just enjoy.

There is hope...St. Patrick's Day and Spring bring us that promise.

Comments

  1. Ours hasn't been quite as bad as yours but it's been pretty brutal for here in the South. The pouring rain today is almost odd after all the frozen precip. I ordered some dresses this week-hoping they fit!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES