Getting Up & Giving Up

I'm a morning person.  Week days I get up around 5 and do my exercises (or walk when this long, cruel winter finally ends) before I get ready for work and get the rest of my family up.  I like the early morning.  And I like that the change to Daylight Saving time means longer days.

But today, when I got up and the clock said 6 and I knew it was really 7, it was painful getting up.  I guess I'm getting a bit lazy on the weekend.  I've been sleeping in.  And by sleeping in I mean sometime after 7. (Although I've been really decadent a few times this year and slept past 8!)  I just did not want to get up.  But I did.  There were things to do (such as laundry; although I skipped this morning's exercise routine).  With a cup of coffee (have I mentioned that my husband makes the best coffee in the world?), I have gotten my act together.  The sun is shining and I'm glad to be up with this beautiful new day.

Besides Daylight Saving time, this past week also brought Lent.  As a adult, I decided to observe the season.  I don't recall how long ago I decided to make the decision, but it's been at least 20 years.  Every year I give up something I really love.  And aside from my family (because there was no way I could give them up!), I really love chocolate.  I am truly a choco-holic!  Letting it go for 40 days is NOT easy.  I've been known to have dreams during the season of Lent about chocolate!  (Yes, that's how serious I am about my chocolate!)

But giving up chocolate also makes me appreciate it more.  There is nothing sweeter than that first taste on Easter morning!  When I was younger, I used to stay up till midnight just so that I could have that sweet taste.  These days, sleep means more to me than chocolate.  (Although with this recent cold that I've had I've given up ALOT of sleep and it's not something that I recommend!).

During the season I TRY to remember WHY I'm not eating chocolate.  It's not just about giving up, it's about remembering why it's important to do so (at least to me).

This season, I'm also trying to do something else (although I have to say that I'm not applying it as well as I should be).  A friend passed this on to me and I wish I could give credit to whoever said it/wrote it.  But I can't (although if anyone knows who it comes from please let me know.)  It's something to think about, and it doesn't jut have to apply to Lent.

Give up resentment and become more forgiving.
Give up hatred and return good for evil.
Give up complaining and be more grateful.
Give up pessimism and become more hopeful.
Give up worry and become more trusting.
Give up anger and become more patient.
Give up pettiness and become more noble.
Give up gloom and become more joyful.
Give up doubt and turn to God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES