BEWARE: Be Aware

 


I recently wrote an article for a church newsletter about scams.  They are all around us and I know we all try to be vigilant, but…

I wrote the article because I had recently gotten an email from church rector.  The note was brief:  “Do you have some time.  I have a request I need you to handle discreetly.  I am currently busy, no calls so just reply to my email.”

Seems reasonable…or does it?

Now of course I’m willing to help (anyone in the congregation would be because like most religious organizations [at least the ones that I’ve been involved with], members are supportive, caring and always willing to help) but a few things caught my eye.  It was signed using his full name.  That’s not typical.  Under that was the title “Pastor”.  He is indeed a pastor, but in the couple of years that I’ve known him, he’s never signed email that way.  Nor does he usually include the church’s name and address at the bottom of his emails.   The punctuation and grammar was off.  (Where is the question mark at the end of the first sentence?  The last sentence is not well structured.  See, English class really can help you in real life!) Finally, while the email APPEARED to come from him, the actual email address was not one that I was familiar with

I immediately texted and emailed the REAL church reverend (using the phone number and email in the church directory) and included the church administrator as well, letting them know that something wasn’t quite right.

I also want to say that one of the reasons I was suspicious was because several years back I had received a text message from the interim minister at the church I belong to in New Jersey.  The text message was similar to this email; she needed assistance.  As I was on the search committee, I was understandable that she texted me.  At the time I responded that I would be happy to help and that’s when “she” asked me to purchase some gift cards that she could give to some local families in need.

Again, that ALMOST sounds reasonable, doesn’t it?  After all, we are called as Christians to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, care for the sick, etc.  Why wouldn’t I want to help? (And to be clear, this call is NOT just “restricted” to one faith.  Human kindness is something that is ingrained in many of us; it SHOULD be engrained in all of us, but that’s a different story!)

But something didn’t sit well with me.  Despite the text which told me not to call because she was in a meeting, I called.  Not the number that the text came from, but to the church office.  It should come as no surprise that she was not in a meeting, did not want me to buy gift cards and had NOT texted me.

So while as compassionate human beings, we need to keep open hearts, we also need to keep open minds. If it seems “off,” STOP!  Take a pause.  Check the email address or phone number; most likely it’s NOT the right one.  And when in doubt, make a call to the office of the church, synagogue, mosque, etc.

It’s right to love with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’  It’s also right to use your mind and search your soul when you get an email that doesn’t seem quite right. Beware “Pastor X,” by doing so we are respecting the REAL one!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday's Special Surprise

Vaccine

Sad Sunday Story