Thoughts 25 years later




Photos from the morning of 9/11/2001


It's been 25 years since 9/11 happened. It didn't just happen to New York. It didn't happen to Washington, DC. It didn't happen to Pennsylvania. It happened in all those places, but it happened to all of us. And when I say all of us I don't just mean America. It happened to the world. The ENTIRE world.  It was an attack on America, but it hurt more than just this country.  It’s damaged echoed throughout the every corner. It may have opened the eyes of the world a little bit, but often I think that those open eyes have to include shut. However, that's just my opinion. 

 And this blog post today it is all about my opinion. It reflects what I feel 25 years later. You may agree with what I say or you may disagree. I hope however that we can all agree that what happened 25 years ago should never be forgot. 

 I have blogged previously about where I was and what I was doing on 9/11/2001, so I won't get into that again. You want to read about that go here:  What I'm writing about today is what I am feeling today on 9/11/26. Those feelings will probably change in 10 years, or maybe even in 5 years or, maybe even next year. But this is where I'm at today. 

 Thought number one:  We should NEVER ever forget what happened at 9/11. We should never ever forget the innocents who died on 9/11. I know 9 11 has been dedicated as Patriots Day by the United States government. Personally I don't think that's enough. I think 9/11 should be it "holiday” that we should ALL honor It should be a day of reflection and a day of service. It should not be a day where life go on as usual. (After that day there would never be a “usual” again)  All non-essential businesses should be closed in honor and memory of what happened. We, as a people, should do volunteer work and HELP in whatever way we can in memory and honor of all those who died.

 Number two: 9/11 wasn't just a day. It is a date that lived on in the days that followed, the weeks it followed. The months that followed and even the years that followed. What happened that day was not one and done.  It has forever changed the world and it has affected families. There are those who are still suffering as a result of what happened that day. Those who were physically there and those who were there afterwards. Although originally, there was no proof that all of the ash debris was filled with carcinogenics, we now know different.  (We all know documents have only recently been released showing how bad the air quality was and how that was kept "hidden".  Although, how could all that "stuff" in the air, no matter what it was, NOT bring about health issues?) In the immediate aftermath, was anyone thinking about what they were breathing in?  With all the fear and trauma, who was thinking that that 5 years, 10 years, etc. that cancers would rear their ugly heads as a result?  (May be some did, but I’m thinking the majority did not). Those who once were in perfect health have faced illness that I can’t begin to describe.  We need to remember what the area looked like for months afterwards. We need to recognize that people are still facing horrible consequences. We need to make sure that those people are taken care of!  No ifs ands or buts about it! 

 Number three: We need to remember and acknowledge the driving force behind this evil act. I am NOT talking about a specific person, group of people, or ethnicity, I am talking about hatred. Hatred and anger is what caused this tragedy. (And tragedy is putting it lightly.) Hatred and anger causes pain and suffering and I hope we can acknowledge that those things were what 9/11 was all about. We also need to acknowledge that love and kindness is why some people were able to survive. It is why this nation did not fall apart. Hate kills, love heals. We need to rid ourselves a hatred and embrace love, compassion and kindness. The things that can heal. Furthermore, to this day we still need healing. Please, turn away from those who want you angry or want to fill you with rage. Instead embrace the good. (It IS out there, but sometimes it’s not easy to find.)  Let yourself give and receive love. Maybe that's not going to make the world a perfect place, but it will make it a better place. And if not the entire world it can make your world better. Who wants to surround themselves with anger and ugly ways? As the song goes what the world needs now is love sweet love no just not for some but for every one of us. 

 On this day of remembrance, let there be love.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday's Special Surprise

Vaccine

Sad Sunday Story