9/25
Happy Dolly Parton Day! We should ALL celebrate. (Why not?)
We probably SHOULD have
celebrated while Dolly was still alive (wouldn't she be tickled pink?), but
hindsight is always 20/20.
Why should we celebrate
Dolly on 9-2-5? Why SHOULDN'T we?
Why shouldn't we
celebrate a woman who:
1.
Was born in poverty; one
of 12 children living in a 2 room house. When she died she was worth over
$450 million.
2.
Wasn't afraid to laugh
at herself. (Google some of her quotes...she knew how to use laughter.)
3.
She founded a charity in
1995 that mails free books to young children worldwide every month...
(Approximately 330 million and still going. Sources say that in 2017, her
Imagination Library gifted more than 40 million books to children. ) And
she did so in honor of her father who couldn't read.
4.
She had her own theme
park since 1986. (I've never been. Have you? Thoughts?)
It employs thousands of people in the community.
5.
She never rode the
roller coasters in her park (or any other park as far as I know).
Hey, if they're not your thing (for whatever reason), why do it?
6.
Turned childhood
bullying around and made it into a hit song. (Listen to "Coat of
Many Colors)
7.
Was offered the
Presidential Medal of Freedom twice and turned it down. The first time she
turned it down because of her husband’s illness and the second time because of
the pandemic.
8.
Speaking of the
pandemic, she donated $1 million to the Vanderbilt University Medical
Center in April 2020, which helped fund the critical early research stages that
paved the way for the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine.
9.
Was vaccinated
publically for Covid-19 to show that the vaccine was safe and to encourage
people to get vaccinated.
10.
Wrote two of her most
famous songs, "Jolene" and "I Will Always Love You" on the
same day.
11.
Following the flooding
in East Tennessee caused by Hurricane Helene, Parton donated $1 million to the
Mountain Ways Foundation.
12.
Donated an
autographed pair of heels to be auctioned for Soles4Souls...
13.
Raised over $9 million
in a telethon for her My People Fund, which gave $1,000 checks to families
affected by wildfires monthly for 6 months.
14.
Appeared on as
herself on The Simpsons back in 1999.
15.
Entered a Dolly Parton
look-a-like drag contest. As you probably know...she lost.
16.
Helped reduce
dropout rates in Sevier County Schools from 30% to 6% in 1991. The Dollywood
Foundation launched the Buddy Program in Sevier County Schools. Seventh and
eighth-grade students were each promised $500 if they and a buddy graduated
high school.
17.
Was a member of the
Grand Ole Opry for over 50 years!
18.
In 2017 donated $1
million to the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt University
Medical Center in honor of her niece, who was treated for leukemia at that hospital.
19.
In 2022 her company (The
Dollywood Co). announced that it would cover 100% of tuition, fees and books
for any employee who is furthering their education. The program was (and is)
available to all seasonal, part-time and full-time employees at Dollywood Parks
& Resorts.
20.
Was nominated 50 times
for a Grammy and won 11.
21.
Supposedly (I cannot
verify this) got up around 3 every morning to meditate and "do spiritual
work."
22.
She said (and this is
one of my favorite quote): "I've got transgender people. I’ve got
gays. I've got lesbians. I've got drunks. I've got drug addicts - all within my
own family. I know and love them all, and I do not judge."
23.
She played an angel at
least two times. Okay, that's not exactly true. She was a
"Guardian Movie Star" in an episode of Designing Women.
She played an angel named Agnes in the series of finale of Grace and
Frankie. (Check both out!)
24.
Her first movie (as we
probably all know) was 9 to 5 with Lily Tomlin and Jane
Fonda. She also helped turn into a musical on Broadway (with Alison
Janney, Stephanie J. Block and Megan Hilty). If you haven't seen either you should. They are gems. (With a message as well.)
Those are just 24 reason
why we should celebrate her today. (Maybe we should follow her example
every day.) Fan or not, you've got to admit she was a pretty amazing
woman.
So let's make it a great Dolly Day! And keep up the tradition ever year. What do you say? As for me, I'm going to go pour myself a cup of ambition. Thank's Dolly!
Comments
Post a Comment