Weekend Reflections

 


This past weekend was another "Fest" weekend. (reference:  https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2023/04/whos-fool.htmlhttps://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2022/04/thoughts-from-endemic-fest.html.)  The weekend stirred up a lot of different emotions (especially as this was the first weekend that I have not gone to see my father since the end of 2022).  Frustration, anger and sadness were more prevalent than in previous years, but I don't want to focus on that.  (Nor do I want to talk about how exhausting the weekend is...and not in a good way.)  I want to focus on two moments of joy. 

Number one was both planned and spontaneous.  How can that be?  Well, my husband (who runs the video room) was showing a set of Badfinger videos on Saturday afternoon.  (I hope you don't have to Google Badfinger, but if you must do it now and then listen to some of their music.)  One of the guests at the fest was Joey Molland.  (If you had to Google before, you shouldn't have to now.)  Hubby let Joey know that he was showing these videos, which had been restored.  Joey came by the room and sat down with my husband (and the other lucky people who were in the room to watch.)  It was wonderful.  There were maybe a dozen people who were in the room at the time (myself included) and they can proudly say that they watched Badfinger with the only living member of the band.  (I doubt if anyone else could say that.)  I did not get to talk to Joey, but he seemed to be having a blast and I know it's something my husband will never forget.  (The photo below is of the two of them...not a great photo, but you get the idea)

The second was the brunch that I host on the last day of the fest prior to official opening time.  Although there was one little "blip" on the fun, we had a "crasher" who claimed someone I had invited had invited him.  Now IF this is true, that person did not tell me.  (Don't invite people to my party without telling me.  Actually don't invite people to my party period.  It's my party and I'll invite who I want!)  Furthermore, this person didn't know me or even try to.  Instead he grabbed some food and drink (alcoholic, although I believe this person is underage) and only stayed for a few minutes. Rude, right?

However, as I said, that was just one little blip.  This potluck gathering (you don't have to bring much, but you SHOULD bring something) is a chance to really spend time with friends, many of whom I only get to see during this one time a year.  While the fest is open, it's hard to spend time together, as some of us are working while others are attending official events.  This is the one time (and it is brief) to sit down a talk.  As well as eat and drink!  I'm happy to say that this year the guest list expanded, as new friends were made and some old friends were able to find the time to come down (even if it was only for a short amount of time.)  For the first time, the party ran "over"...as the fest doors opened and we needed to clear the room for "official business."  But that just shows that everyone was having such a good time that they didn't want to leave.

This group of special friends are truly loving and kind.  Since this was not an official event, when hubby and I came in to set up, we passed by a member of the security staff who had been manning his post all night.  Though he claimed it was an easy job, I don't think it really is.  So I offered him coffee and you would have thought that I had offered him a million dollars.  Other guests made sure he had something to eat (and some of the homemade baked goods were INCREDIBLE) and that his coffee cup was refilled.  This is why I am friends with each member of this group; because they look out for others and they know how to be kind. (I hope I can include myself in that as well.  While I don't always succeed, I TRY to be kind.)

Personally, the real joy was in being present with my friends.  I have been under a lot of stress recently (some of which I have written about, but the majority of it now) and to be able to just BE for an hour or so was a wonderful gift.  Thank you friends, for just being.  You lifted me up without even knowing it.  That is a true gift of friendship.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES