February's Final Friday


Can it be the end of the month already?  It's only the 24th, but as we know, February is a short month and this one is already wrapping up.  (Like January, it's been a warm one, a cold one and a windy one with no...I'm not going to say it because it's bound to screw things up)

As the second month of 2023 (almost) concludes, here's some follow up on previous thoughts and posts:

· Thank You for NOT Poisoning Me:  Since my first foray into the cuisine of Pizzanada, I/my family has ordered twice more.  I've had the pleasure of trying their Vegan Chicken Francaise (which I admit I wanted to try because Chicken Francaise was one of my mother's favorites when she dined at the local Italian restaurant.  She wasn't a fan of Italian cuisine; this was her standby) and their Vegan Beyond Sausage Orecchiette.  All three meals that I've had in February have been delicious, and more importantly, I haven't gotten poisoned!  My husband and son like their "regular" menu so I've been spending way too much money there.  (But it's worth it.  Hey I'm supporting the local economy!)  Someday, I'll have to physically go to the restaurant.  Thus far we have just ordered and had it delivered.  The only downside to this is that it always takes longer than estimated for the meal to arrive and it's not because of the driver.  When you place an order, no matter what time and/or what time they say the order we be ready, expect about an hour and a quarter (or possibly half) before your meal arrives.  Our last meal was ordered at 4:45 and arrived at our door around 6:05.  We ordered early expecting this so...

· The College Process:  My son is just about ready to commit to Wagner College.  We submitted an appeal for additional financial aid on January 31st, but have yet to hear back (despite the auto-generated email that came in on February 1st saying that we could expect a response in approximately two weeks.)  It's up to my son to do some research on additional scholarships no matter what, something that he hasn't done yet.  (Which is annoying me, but that's always the case.)  I plan on getting on his case about this soon, but can't criticize him too much because the spring musical opens next week, he has a leading role AND this is the last musical he'll be doing.  (He's done all 4!)  That's taking a lot of time and work so I'm cutting him some slack...for now...once it's over, he's got to get on it as by the end of March he'll be off with the rest of the music students on their spring music trip.  (FINALLY!  His freshman year trip was cancelled at the last minute due to Covid.  There wasn't one his sophomore year.  His junior year they did a quick trip to Philly.  Now they can finally do the much anticipated trip to Disney World!)  After that we're into April and before you know it...graduation!  (How did this happen?)

· Health:  The "armpit" issue is getting better and I'm sticking with Gold Bond Comfort powder with aloe and chamomile.  I've got to say that it was almost as if the "clinical strength" deodorant gave me a sunburn!  (You know how weird I am.)  My ear has NOT changed, despite another trip to the PA and a new nasal spray.  So I've got an appointment with an ENT in early March.  Until then I just have to live with what feels like a clogged ear (but isn't) and a bit of tinnitus (which is annoying, but not earth shattering).  And a bit of stress has been lifted off my shoulders as my father, who was in the hospital at the end of last week, is back home.  Totally selfish (self-centered?) of me, but going back to the hospital where my mother died was difficult.

· Mardi Gras & Lent:  Working on the whole intention thing.  Need to remember that this IS a journey.  Especially as I RUSHED down to get ashes on Wednesday morning and got to the bus stop with 5 minutes to spare, only to have the bus be delayed by 10 minutes.  After I got on, the express ride turned out not to be so express as there was an accident on the highway that slowed us down and then heavier than usual traffic on the local roads.  Top that off with an above average stress day at the office and well, my focus on the journey kind of went astray.  A few days later and I'm trying to regain that focus and remember:   "Do not let your passions be your guide, but keep your desires in check...Take no pleasure in too much luxury which brings on poverty redoubled.  Do not become a glutton and a drunkard with nothing in your purse."  (Book of Sirach 18: 30, 32-33)


One last thought on this final Friday of February:  All of the above is NOT what I (we?) should be thinking about today.  Today marks the first anniversary of the Russian invasion of Ukraine.  For a year, the Ukrainian people have stood firm in the face of horror.  They have shown a strength I thought only fictional superheroes had.  I am in awe of their resilience.  While I pray for peace, I will continue support them with action.  For a year my church has been sending supplies (based on their requests) with financial donations applied to the cost of shipment.  The people of Ukraine have shown me (us?) the best of humanity.  That is something I need to focus on, follow, support and pray for.  My hope is that we all will.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES