The Joy Of Nothing

 


I had a wonderful holiday weekend...I did nothing.

Maybe it's a sign of old age.  Maybe it's just that work has been really crazy as we wrapped up the month and ended the second quarter of the year. (Each time the quarter close seems to get more and more complicated.)  Maybe it's because I spent too many hours during the hot portion of last week "stuck" in the home office with the portable air conditioner droning around me.  (Please don't get me wrong, I am so thankful that we have this unit.  It's just that the way the room is situated, I sit right next to it and sitting next to any type of running electrical unit can get under your skin.)  The heat of last week was draining.  The sudden cool (I'd say cold, but it wasn't) was shocking.  (It was 87 downstairs in my house on Thursday night, by Saturday morning it was 67. Remember there are no air conditioning units there.  Just open windows and fans.)

So when the 4th of July came around and we had no plans, I was okay with it.  

In the past, I might have rushed down to the NJ shore (with or without my husband and son.)  I am a shore gal, but lately (and I mean since Superstorm Sandy in 2012), it's just not the same.  The little barrier island has always been incredibly crowded during the summer months, but it's more than just that.  There are more houses, which means more vehicles and more people.  (I seriously think that within the next 50 years or so the whole island is going to sink under the pressure of all "stuff" piled upon it.  When that storm of the century comes again, and we all KNOW it will, I have the feeling/fear that the land will just erode away with it and that will be that.)  I didn't want to deal with that, especially since the early part of the weekend was cool and damp.  (If it had still been so oppressively hot things might have played out differently.)

Instead I did nothing...

Well, not completely nothing.  I did an early (but not too early) morning walk. I ran to the Fresh Grocer  at around 8:30.  When it was surprisingly not that crowded.  Even better the hamburger buns that my husband asked me to pick up (because he had decided it was a good day to grill) were not only plentiful, but on sale at the front of the store.   I was easily able to pick up the few things I needed (and a few things that I didn't but called out to me...like the red, white and blue Oreos!).  

I was home before nine and enjoyed my coffee out on our (still) new patio.  And for the rest of the day I barely budged from that spot.  I read.  (Mary Kay Andrews newest summer read:  The Newcomer which is perfect for a summer day of doing absolutely nothing.)  I snacked.  (And did way too much of that as the scale has cruelly reflected.)  I had a little fun with some holiday headbands that I had purchased the day before.

When it was time to grill, hubby discovered that we really didn't have enough charcoal, so we did have to do a quick run to get more  (Reluctantly headed to the closest store which is incredibly overpriced, but would be open and have what we needed.)  He grilled. 


I ate:  

(A glass of wine might have been included too.)

Then I did more of nothing.  Just sat.  Enjoyed the night.  Let hubby make a fire in the fire pit.  (It's definitely his new favorite toy.)  We needed it as it got a little chilly (in my opinion) as the sun set.  We listened to music.  We sat and watched the fire.  We watched (and listened) to fireworks set off by a neighboring town.  (As well as by a neighbor.)

When all was done, I climbed into bed and watched what MUST be watched every July 4th:  1776.  Although I will say I was asleep before Lee even left for Virginia!

For me, it was the perfect day.  A day of nothing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES