That Darned Horn


That darned horn went off yesterday morning before 6 AM.  On social media, some people  complained about it.  It was early.  It scared the kids.  It scared the dog.  Why did the darned horn go off so early in the morning?

It's a good question.

I've been hearing that darned horn since I was a kid.  And I can actually remember being scared of it when I was a kid.  Seriously, one of my earliest memories is standing in the driveway afraid that the horn would go off.  (I don't know WHY I was afraid, I just know that I was. I was also freaked out by fire/police/ambulance sirens. The sound still makes me anxious.) So I understand.  The horn IS unsettling. And for some, it can be very frightening; I don't want to negate that.

So what is this darned horn that I speak of?  It's an air horn that sits on the top of the town hall and it's used to alert the volunteers of the Fire Department and/or Rescue squad that they are in need.

Why still use this old system when there is so much technology that could solve the problem?  Well, technology doesn't completely solve the problem as the township found out when the horn was silenced.  Cell phone calls could be missed.  Radios could be powered off.  Technology AIDED the system, but I couldn't completely replace it. So we have continued to be "old school" while additionally using new technology.  It makes sense; it keeps the town safer.  If it's going to keep my town and my family safer, then I am all for it, even if I don't particularly like it.   

It is my understanding that the horn is only supposed to be used between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.  Obviously yesterday was an exception.  I have to assume (which is probably not the right thing to do, but...) that something serious was going on that really needed the attention of the rescue services.

So the horn IS necessary.  It is also unpleasant.  And for some, particularly young children who cannot yet understand why the horn is necessary, it can be very upsetting.  I could recommend sitting down a child and explaining that the horn means that help is on the way for someone who needs it.  That MIGHT help.  On the other hand, it might not.  And it certainly won't help pets.  There really is not an easy answer or work around.

I'm going to be honest; the sound of the horn still freaks me out a bit.  I have been walking by the town center when it went off and I nearly jumped out of my skin.  I don't like it, but it is a necessary part of my community and keeping it safe.  For me, as an adult, that is more important than anything else.

So remember if you hear that annoying horn; comfort your children and pets as best you can (if you need to) and say a little prayer.  Somewhere in town, someone is in need of help.  Pray for them.  Pray for the responders.  (Thank you for all that you do.  You are a special and amazing breed of human being.)  Be thankful that you are not the reason that the horn has gone off.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES