Stuck In My Head...


 I didn't get much sleep last night which might make this post more rambling than usual.  I'm not even going to try to explain why the following bits of songs have been pinging around in my brain, but I will say that things DO get twisted and tangled up in the gray matter.  Somehow it all makes sense to me.  I don't know if it will to you, but...

 

So here's what's on the playlist in my brain this morning...First up this snippet from the brilliant musical, 1776; lyrics (and music if you know it) by Peter Stone.

 

"But don't forget that most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of becoming rich than face the reality of being poor. And that is why they will follow us!

 

"To the right, ever to the right 

Never to the left, forever to the right.  

Where there's gold

A market that will hold

Tradition that is old

Reluctant to be bold

I sing Hosanna, Hosanna

In a sane and lucid manner!

We are cool...

We're the cool, cool considerate men

Whose like may never, ever be seen again

With our land, cash in hand

Self-command, future planned"

 

Second on my three song playlist is also a "show tune," (I don't know if it's ever really been considered as such) by Richard O'Brien, from The Rocky Horror Show. (The fact that I watched the movie on Halloween and enjoyed the livestream version as well on Halloween night definitely influenced the gray matter on this.  As an aside:  it was great to see Tim Curry [even though the effects of his stroke prevented him from doing as much as he may have wanted], Barry Bostwick [what an amazing sense of humor this man has!] and Nell Campbell [She's not just an actor, she's running the show and doing so marvelously!].)  Please note that I  have changed one word (bolded in red)  in the lyric:

 

"And Politicians

Come to feast

To taste the flesh

Not yet deceased

And all I know

Is still the beast is

Feeding

And crawling on the planet's face

Some insects called the human race

Lost in time, and lost in space

And meaning"

 

Finally, and most likely because I consider myself a woman of faith, this verse of a hymn written in the 1960s by  Father Peter Scholtes.  Although this is a Christian hymn and draws on that, I am of the mind, that you could replace the word Christian with the word human.  Or at least I HOPE you could:

 

"We Will work with each other, we will work side by side;

We will work with each other, we will work side by side;

And we'll guard each man's dignity and save each man's pride.

And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love,

yes, they'll know we are Christians by our love."


What does this all mean?  Maybe nothing...or maybe not.  After all, it's just in my head.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Moving