It's Not My Party and I'll Cry If I Want To...

We're at 25 days until the election.  (At least if I've counted right.)  I don't like to talk politics; nor do I intend to blog about them.  My vote is mine alone (as is yours).  It is my right (and I am grateful for it) to vote as I please on November 8th.

 I have voted in every presidential election since I was old enough to do so.  I would like to say I've voted in EVERY election since I was old enough to vote, but I'm going to lie...I haven't. (Hang my head in shame.)  Whether it be national or local, I feel that it's very important that I cast my vote.  It is a right that was hard fought for by those who went before me.  (I'm not just talking about women's suffrage.)  As a citizen of the United States of America, I should do my research and due diligence before casting my vote.  I should vote my conscience, knowing that despite what anyone says to the contrary, the only wasted vote is the one that is NOT cast.

With that said, I will let you know that I am registered with one of the two major parties.  I registered at my parent’s behest when I was old enough to vote.  I voted in this year's primary and am disappointed that the candidate I selected is not one that is currently on the ballot.  (You can take that any way you want it,)  I have voted for Republican candidates.  I have voted for Democratic Candidates.  And yes, I have even voted for candidates not aligned with either of these "majority" parties.

As we roll into the final leg of this election season circus, no party speaks to me.  I do not feel a part of the one that I supposedly "belong" to and the other offers me no comfort either.  As I see it, neither the Democratic or Republican party are "for the people."  Or at least for this person.  I see both as shattered and stupid.  Both looking for nothing more than self-preservation. 

How did we come to this sad point?  It seems less like a Presidential election and more of a bad reality show. (Are there any good reality shows?  Don't answer that!)  Maybe we should have put ALL the presidential candidates (including those who were excluded by the primaries) in the Big Brother House and let it play out. Or how about Survivor:  President Edition!  (Think of the ratings CBS!) It might have been more entertaining and less frightening; more cost effective and more focused on the issues.  Or then again, maybe not.

While there is division and not a lot that we agree on in this country (sadly), I do think there is something we CAN pretty much all agree on:  the entire process has not been pretty (and that's putting it mildly).  Can you say UGLY?  (BUTT UGLY!!!) Again, this is only my opinion, but isn't it time that the parties and the process change?  How to do this and what it should become, I do not know.  But I DO know that I don't want to go through another one of these crazy A** freak shows again four years from now.  (And will it really be four years?  Doesn't the whole crazy thing start over again just moments after a victor has been declared?) 

If I'm going to be forward thinking, I don't want my son to ever have to witness a mess like this again.  If he has to select a party to join when the time comes (if the two party system still exists; the way things have gone over the past 12+ months I have to wonder), I want him to be (dare I say it) proud of his decision.  Although I will want for him to vote for the PERSON that his conscious tells him will do the best job, I also want him to be confident with the party that they represent.

This whole election process is one messed up mess. (Putting it mildly, aren't I?) Once more in my opinion, the process and the parties NEED to be changed.  I don't have any answers as to how, but hopefully someone out there does.  Furthermore, hopefully the parties will listen when that someone speaks.  After all, our elected officials are SUPPOSED to represent us; the people.  Wouldn't it be nice if that could be a reality?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES