The Tradition

August 4, 2005:  The day my son was born.  When it was time to get dressed (and get driving) that morning, I chose to wear a sleeveless collared white top (with a zipper in the front) and a pair of navy shorts that I had bought in DisneyWorld eight years prior.  I'm not 100% sure why I chose to wear those clothes that day.  They were cool and comfortable and I knew it was going to be a long, hot day.  I'm a big Disney fan so wearing Disney items is no surprise. (In looking back at a photo that day I am also wearing a Minnie Mouse watch and Mickey Icon silver ring).  I don't recall giving it that much thought.  Again, comfort was my main concern.  (That and getting on the road we thought our son was about to be born! Little did we know that he had already made an appearance an hour and half prior to our leaving the house!)

August 4, 2006:  My son is turning one.  Although I have no big party planned, it is a big day and needs to be marked as such.  There needs to be champagne (for the adults) and cake (ice cream for the boy).  Balloons were called for too.  And lots of boxes and wrapping paper.  It was another hot one, so I dressed our son in a light onesie (the one that my mother had gotten for him that had a crown and said: King James).  And I decided to wear the same thing I'd worn the year before.  Again, cool and comfortable was a focus.  (Although wearing white was probably not such a great idea seeing how I was going to be feeding ice cream cake.)  Just like on the day of his birth, my husband took a photo of me holding my son.  And thus a tradition was born.

Every year my son grows larger (obviously) so holding him is no longer an option.  (At least not holding/carrying him.  I can still happily wrap my arms around him.)  I still don the white shirt (which I believe was purchased in Kmart and has a tiny image of Tigger dancing the hula on the upper left hand side) and the navy shorts (purchased in the Emporium on Main Street USA in the Magic Kingdom in September of 1997).  I don't know how much longer they will hold up.  (The shirt, although newer, is starting to go.  The shorts seem to be holding up pretty well.) But as long as they do, and hopefully even longer, on August 4th I will wrap my arms around my son and have a picture taken.  It doesn't have to be good (as the photo my husband took when he turned three proves; getting a good photo with a squirmy three year old is not easy) although it helps.  As long as I can I'm going to keep up this tradition. We've made it 10 years thus far (technically 11 if you start from day 1).  (Even if it irks my son; a mother's got to have some fun.)  Just my boy and me (in the blue shorts and white shirt); year after year.  The tradition WILL continue.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES