Memorial Day 2013

The last day of the three day weekend; the unofficial/official beginning of the season of summer.  (Although it sure hasn't felt like it here in NJ.).  I don't think it's a bad thing that we spend three days relaxing and hopefully drinking in some sunshine (especially after the cold winter we've had).  And with all the damage that Sandy caused, whatever time we can spend celebrating the NJ shore is a good thing in my book.  (Although to be realistic, as much as has been accomplished there is still a long way to go.  For every restaurant that has reopened, there is another block of homes that still need to renovation or a complete fresh start.)

However, to paraphrase, let's not forget the reason behind the season.  Why do we (or at least most of us) get that Monday off?  It isn't all about the start of the summer season.  Let's not forget what we should be remembering this Memorial Day.

Once again I realize how lucky I am.  My maternal grandfather was too young for World War I and too old for WWII.  My dad did serve in the reserves, but that was that.  My Uncle James was a dedicated army man; a lieutenant colonel when he retired.  As far as I know, he never saw any "action" but being stationed all over the world could not have been easy.  (I vaguely remember stories of rats swimming in latrines in Korea, and I'm sure my cousins have more sordid stories than that).  There is no one in my immediate family who lost a limb or their life in combat.

My husband cannot say the same.  His great uncle (his maternal grandfather's brother) died in WWII in  Anzio, Italy.  I am ashamed to say that I don't know much about this battle and what little I do know comes from internet research.  Perhaps this Memorial Day, I should do more reading and  learning and less sunning and shopping.

Today shouldn't we all stop and learn?  Stop and remember.  Stop and say thank you.  It doesn't matter if you are related or not to a veteran.  We are all connected; we are all related.  So I ask you to take a moment...sometime...anytime...and remember and say thanks. It is Memorial Day.  And if it weren't for those men and women who fought for our country and continue to do so, we might not have this day at all.





Comments

  1. Leslie served in the Marines and was also luckily never to serve in a time of war. I'm still thankful because it made him the person he is today! Thank you to all of your family (both of you) for their service, in times of war or peace!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES