9 Wishes For This Holiday Season




 I'm going the altruistic route this year.  I'm not wishing for ten million dollars (although I wouldn't turn it down if someone offered.)  I'm not asking for 20 pounds to melt again.  (Would be nice though.)  This year's "wish list" is slightly different for me.  So what am I wishing for this season?

  1. World Peace:  It has to be number one.  It's what we need  now.  (Even more than "love sweet love.")  Impossible?  No.  Improbable?  Yes.  In a world full of war and strife, no matter how unlikely it may be, I'm putting it on my list.
  2. Care for our planet:  It's my home; it's your home.  We need to take better care of it.  No one wants to live in a sewer (at least that I know); let's not treat our home as such.  We haven't done such a great job of taking care of our residence, so there's no time like the present to start.
  3. Letting medical professionals do their job:  Doctors, nurses, EMTs, etc., they've all undergone extensive schooling and training.  When it comes to healthcare, they need to be our standard.  They should be able to share their expertise with their patients and help them make informed decisions about their healthcare.   I don't want a lawyer to give me a mammogram.  I don't want a judge to read/assess my x-rays.  I don't want an insurance representative deciding what kind of care I need.  Leave healthcare to the healthcare professionals.
  4. Let law enforcement officers do their job:  "The police are a constituted body of persons empowered by a state, with the aim to enforce the law, to ensure the safety, health, and possessions of citizens, and to prevent crime and civil disorder."   They are NOT medical professionals and should not be expected to act as such.  To that end, they need support and proper resources when dealing with issues outside their realm.  They are NOT mental health experts and those with this expertise should be able to work in tandem with them and be available as support when the situation calls for me.
  5. Have our representatives represent us:  Elected officials are supposed to serve the people they represent.  That's the job.  The job is  not to look out for their own interests or the interest of other entities/organizations.  Be it local or national, they need to do the job that we (the voters) "hired" them for.  When they don't...we need to recognize that and "fire" them.  It's our "job" to screen new applicants (do that research before you vote) and make sure that the people WE elected, are doing theirs.
  6. Let people have their say:  Our constitution allows us free speech.  I support that.  We need to support that.  I also say there is a difference between free speech and HATE speech.  I should have the ability to say: "I really can't stand X.  I think they are a horrible human being."  I should not be able to say:  "X should be killed because..."  We have the gift of free speech and we should treat it with care and respect.
  7.  Care for our children:  Parents and guardians have a great responsibility.  They need to be able make decisions that are right for their family.  Their decisions may be different than mine; that's okay.  What isn't okay is for someone who is not the parent/guardian of my child to tell me what I should (or should not) allow my child to read, study, etc.  I will do my best to respect your decisions (if no law is broken and  no one is harmed), please do the same for me and everyone else.
  8.   Be kind to one another:  One of my favorite books is To Kill a Mockingbird  from which this quote comes from:  “You can't really get to know a person until you get in their shoes and walk around in them.”  We don't know what others are going through and it's been proven time and time again that a little kindness can go a long way.  This world NEEDS more kindness.  
  9. A winning lottery ticket for $20 million or more:  I know I said I was going to be altrustic, but...As  much as I would like to say I am, I'm NOT perfect, so...

Though unlikely, here's wishing that one or more come true.  Or even partially true.

Happy Holidays! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES