A Bite In The...

 If you haven't already, please refer to my post earlier this week:  https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2021/06/talking-birthdays.html.  This gives background info which may or may not be helpful.

So, on my birthday I got bit in the butt.  (LITERALLY!)  I posted on a neighborhood site about the incident to warn people.  Everyone told me I HAD to report this to the police.  Being that my thoughts flow better when I write (hey, there is a reason why I am a blogger), I wrote everything down and sent it to the police department via email.  It took my time writing it (not that it took hours or anything crazy), to make sure that I included as much detail as possible.  I didn't have an address where "the incident" took place, but I could narrow it down and wanted to be as detailed as possible.

The day after I sent it, I received an email back asking me to call them.  So I did.  I gave my name and address and a brief account of what happened to the officer who answered the phone.  I made sure to say that I was calling because I had sent an email the previous day.  The officer asked if he could put me on hold and when he came back on the line said that a report could not be taken over the phone.  I would have to come down and that they were open 24/7.  

So for yesterday's morning walk, I decided to walk down to the police department.  It's important to note that "the incident" did not take place in my town, but in the next town over.  I live on the southeast end of my town, so when I walk I often end up in another town depending on what direction I go in.  (And how much I want to walk that day.)  

As I approached the parking lot (which is behind the building), I saw two officers outside talking.  I apologized for interrupting and asked them where to go to make a report.  They very kindly directed me and I easily made my way in.

I put on my mask in the vestibule (as the note on the door requested) and went to open the 2nd door, but it was locked.  A voice to my left asked how I could be helped.  I hadn't noticed that there was a bank teller like window there, probably because it was mirrored glass.  I explained that I had called and was told to come down to report aggressive dogs.

There were obviously two officers behind the glass; one female (who initiated the conversation) and one male.  I told them what had happened.  The male officer asked why I didn't come down on Monday.  I said that I had called on Tuesday.  He asked why I didn't call on Monday.  I replied that I was confundled.  (I should have said that I'd sent an email, but I didn't).  They said that they'd keep an eye on the area and that was that.  Unlike when I called in they didn't take my name or any other information.  They did ask if I called for an ambulance (no, I didn't need assistance), and if I called animal control (no, I never thought of it).

So I DID report the incident.  I did it three times.  Upon reflection, what I should have done is write everything down (as I did) and then call the police that day.  Then I should have gone down immediately (because I was not working on Monday:  which was not the case on Tuesday or Wednesday) with what I had written.  I am not a good off the cuff speaker.  If I don't have something planned, I stumble (as I did when I went in on Wednesday morning).  Lesson learned.  But I honestly hope I don't ever have to use that lesson again.


Comments

  1. Sounds like the Police would've wanted the exact address of the dog house on the day of the incident."Just the facts ma'am". I feel disappointed in their response. Thanks for posting. Knowing this will be helpful if there are any other incidences. Geez, I hope it doesn't happen again, especially on your birthday!!
    Did you take pictures of the bruises? Maybe you can talk directly to the dog owners and explain what happened.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES