Why I Am Walking

If you've read my blog before you probably know that I am a walker.  Specifically an early morning walker.  Although I've always been someone who enjoys a good walk, I didn't become really serious about it until 2012.  And when I say serious, I mean serious.  I try (although I don't always succeed) to walk at least a couple of miles every day.  At least when conditions permit.  When they don't, I try to do indoor walking via https://walkathome.com/  

Recently, I've been doing longer walks.  Partly because I don't have to rush to get to an office; my home office means that I can walk in the door at 7 AM and be working before 7:05.  However, the other reason is:  The Sesame Street Fun Run.

Now as I said, I am a walker, NOT a runner, but when I learned about this virtual "run" I thought it would be a cool opportunity.  I could register for a "run" but walk wherever I wanted.  And all for a good cause:  the Sesame Workshop.

I have been a fan of Sesame Street since the day it began.  (Yes, I'm that old.)  I can remember the first episode.  (And even if I couldn't I have the Old School DVDs...and I have watched them and enjoyed them as an adult.)    Sesame Street  has been a part of my life since I was three.  I watched it as a child.  I watched when I was past the age of watching with my brother.  I watched it with kids that I babysat.  And I've watched it with my son.  I'm not an Elmo or an Abby fan; my heart will forever belong to Bert and Ernie (I can still sing "Doing the  Pigeon" as well as the dance that goes with it and "Rubber Duckie" will always be one of my favorite songs), Cookie Monster (check out "Cookie World" on YouTube for one of the best parodies the show has ever done of it's own little red monster),  Grover (The Monster at the End of This Book is still on my bookshelf) and a host of other characters that most people might not know.  (Who remembers Sherlock Hemlock or Mumford the Magician?  Can you differentiate Guy Smiley from Don Music?)  I still have several Sesame Street record albums (including the "original" one where Oscar the Grouch is still orange) and still regret giving away my "life size" Bert and Ernie.

The point is, Sesame Street has been an important part of my life.  It was no brainer that I would do something to give back, even in just a small way.

So I signed up to "run" at the end of June.  (The "race" is any time from June 28 - July 31)  I set up a donation page with a modest goal of $100.  (I'm thrilled to say I met my goal yesterday, but I wouldn't mind surpassing it:  https://fundraiser.sesameworkshop.org/sesame-street-fun-run/BethShorten)  And most days I go out there and walk 5K (approximately 3.10 miles).  

I usually do more.  And every morning when I go out there, I spend some time thinking about what Sesame Street means to me.  How this world is a better place because of the show and all the people associated with it.

Our world, now more than ever, needs Sesame Street.  Maybe if I keep walking; I'll find my way there.

(Although I've posted a link for my fundraising page and I'd gratefully accept any donations, if you want to participate there's still time to register:  https://fundraiser.sesameworkshop.org/sesame-street-fun-run)

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES