August: Random Thoughts


We've hit August.  How can this be?  Summer flies by and yet...Independence Day was not that long ago but it seems like eons to me.  How can that be?  As we enter a new month I find myself randomly thinking and questioning things such as:

  • What is up with the MapMyWalk app?  I used to be able to share my daily walks on Facebook.  Just click the little icon before saving.  The icon has gone. And suddenly I'm walking faster?  Not that I'm complaining.  I have been putting a little more effort into it.  (Because I've put on a few pounds and can't seem to get rid of them...but that's another bullet point rant.)  I just don't think the app is timing the mileage right.  I realize that it's not exact...it never has been, but Monday my first mile was at a spot that was quite a distance back from where it had been in the past. Tuesday that same "mile" was at least a half block further.  Distance doesn't change, so...  (I have also had it proclaim a mile maybe 30 seconds AFTER I know I had a mile.)  Nothing major, but this all seems a bit odd to me.  As the app is free (and I have no need to purchase the deluxe version) I can't complain...or at least that much.
  • I'm wondering if my faster walks have anything to do with the fact that the past few mornings have been a little less humid.  This summer has not been about the heat.  (Remember, I TRY not to complain about the heat.  I save my complaining for the winter.)  The humidity has been unbelievable.  I'm not a big AC person (I really hate to put it on), but I've been turning it on in our bedroom even before my husband does.  (He's the AC guy.)  For several days I couldn't open my back door...it was swollen shut and no matter how hard we tugged it just wouldn't open.  The same can be said for several cabinet drawer.  (Truth be told, there is one that never closes.  It's a 1920s kitchen and needs to be updated, but...) Maybe this is why I am SWOLLEN too?  Or could it be...
  • Warning...this may be TMI for some people..Turn back now...you've been warned so now you are doomed...I think I am going through menopause.  I'm certainly of the right age.  (Sigh)  But since I have no uterus it's hard to tell. I've not had any hot flashes (or at least not what I think of as hot flashes).  I have however, recently been feeling bloaty and kind of crampy.  How is that possible?  I've got nothing to cramp.  (Do ovaries cramp?  Can this be phantom cramping?  It's been nearly a decade since my mess of a uterus got pulled.)  Oh the joys of womanhood, right?
  • Speaking of joys and back to the topic of walking...I listen to the free Iheartradio on my phone most days.  I start off with either the 70s station or the smooth jazz station before switching over to a local station so that I can get the local news, weather and traffic.  When I switch I get so many ads it's unbelievable.  The ads are not always local, which I kind of understand, but I really am tired of hearing about the vape shop in Texas.  (Actually I'm tired of hearing about vaping period.)  The ads only seem to be on the local stations, so I'm not quite understanding the whole app, but then do I really have to?
  • One more thing on the morning walk...I use ear buds.  I don't have the volume up too loud because I DO want to be able to hear a little bit of what's going on around me. (Like if a car is squealing it's way towards me.)  Ear buds seem to last about a year before they develop problems...  Usually one of the buds goes wonky so I have mono instead of stereo.  (I hope people still know what that means!)  The latest ones I have are promotional and don't include a microphone. (Yes, I have been known to make phone calls while walking.)  They also seem to rub my ear.  The previous pair I had (with mic) also had a tendency to irritate my ears.  (What can I say? I'm sensitive!)  Does anyone have any thoughts on ear buds or even light weight headphones for daily use?
  • Moving on...how did I get to be the mother of a(n) (almost) teen?  I know, I know. But darn did those years fly by.  We'll be celebrating 13 this weekend and not unlike summer, it seems like eons ago that he was born and yet is also seems just like yesterday.  This past year the hormones have kicked into high gear.  (Both his AND mine...can you imagine the joy that is in our house most days?)  While he always looked mature for his age, now he looks like he is 16.  He would be considered average for a man (he's just about 5'10") but for a 13 year old, he's a lanky young man with a voice that dropped lower than the basement floor.  He's had the 'tude for a while and I'm struggling to be an understanding and yet firm mom.  He's as obsessed about his hair as John Travolta was in Saturday Night Fever.  (I showed him the clip and he agreed.)  He's also as obsessed about his mode of dress.  Week days it's white t, jeans and red Chuck Taylors. (I didn't even know what Chuck Taylors were!)  If I'm lucky he'll wear another colored t on occasion...but NO WRITING on it.  It must be plain.  (One exceptions is a NASA t-shirt). No shorts.  No matter what the temperature.  NO shorts.  (Although I have "forced" him a couple of times.)  Weekends, it's dressing up with shirt, tie, slacks, jacket (although sometimes I can get him to pass on that if it's really hot) and spectators. (Google it.)  He goes to church mostly because it gives him an excuse to dress this way and wear one of his many fedoras and if it's raining, trench coat.  If you thought girls were all about fashion...you've got to meet my son.  I have no problem with the way he dresses (unless it's not appropriate for the weather or occasion), but I do wish he would mix it up a little!
  • Which brings me back to the fact that it's getting to be that time again...yes, back to school shopping!  The supplies!  The supplies!  I'm determined NOT to overbuy this year.  I'm holding out for sales on specific items.  (I'm talking about those plastic folders that take a beating and ALMOST make it through the year.  They are more expensive than the ten cent paper ones, but the paper ones are lucky if they make it a week!) I *think* I might be ok on the binders.  The Mead 5 Star Flex that I bought in April made it.  And when I bought that I bought another one just in case.  So there are two.  He just needs one more and supposedly Mead is sending me a replacement, which is GREAT!  His science teacher wants 3 one subject notebooks as they will be handed in a graded.  I'm thinking those aren't going to make it but who knows his French one subject notebook kind of made it through last year.   I have given in a bought more pens, pencils and colored pencils (as they were on sale).   I'm trying NOT to buy more highlighters and whiteboard markers.  They have magically disappeared since last fall.  (How does this happen?  How did multiple water bottles vanish, never to be found again, not even in the lost and found?)  You KNOW I'm going to give in before school starts up again, don't you?
All these things flittering around in my brain.  I think it's time for a vacation FOR ME.  I do have something planned for the whole family, but if you'll recall my last plan didn't turn out too well. (https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2018/06/schools-out-summer-vacation.html).  There's only a little over a month, until school is back in session and "summer" unofficially ends.  Let's see if Mommy gets a break before then!

Comments

  1. Maybe we are both swollen from the humidity? (As it pours down rain here) I'll use that as my excuse instead of the extra lbs ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES