A Fable: I Don't Understand It!

I'm still slogging my way through my Pulitzer Project:  reading as many of the Pulitzer Prize Winners for Fiction as I can find electronically.  (Just makes more sense to read them this way as I can carry one device with lots of books on it.)  I have been struggling with William Faulkner's A Fable.  I don't know whether to give up and move on or keep trying.

I've read only one other Faulkner, As I Lay Dying, about a year ago.  That was also an e-book and was poorly composed/translated.  I got through it but thought my dislike/frustration of the book had to do with the "translation" as it were.  The formatting was done poorly so I thought that was what caused by difficulty with reading it.  Now I have to wonder.  Am I just missing the Faulkner gene? Is stream of consciousness writing just not something that I can understand? (I don't think that's the case as I've read other authors such as James Joyce, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, and Virginia Woolf who fall into this category and while I may not have loved their works, at least I understood them!  And if you count Chekhov's plays in the category, I can safely say that I have enjoyed some stream of consciousness.)

I've read some difficult books in my day; mostly thanks to two wonderful teachers I had in high school.  As part of a two year AP English class I read, read, and then read some more.  Some of the "literature" was awful (as in, not my cup of tea) and some was wonderful.  (It's where I discovered my love for F. Scott Fitzgerald and Eugene O'Neill)  But if I had been assigned A Fable in this class, I'm afraid I would have resorted to Cliff Notes.  (Full disclosure here:  With all of the reading that we were assigned over the course, I only gave up once.  It is true that I did actually read all of Crime and Punishment, but could not handle Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad.  I never finished it and relied on class discussion as well as Cliff Notes to muddle my way.)


So do I slog my way through sentences that run for three pages or do I call it a day?  In all honesty, I had a heck of a lot more fun on the beach this weekend with my worn copy a Susan Wigg's Chick Lit.  (I bring well-worn second hand books to the beach to read, so if something happens to them I don't feel too bad.  Although I am still somewhat mourning the loss of Pat Conroy's Beach Music to Superstorm Sandy.  Sure I read it two or three times, but it kept me going for hours on end.)  Do I just need a break for a while and then try to return to it?  (Go Set a Watchman comes out tomorrow and I can't believe I've gone over a month without diving into In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume.)  I'm looking for advice here (especially from my fellow AP English-ers and any teachers.)  Has anyone read this?  Is anyone out there a fan of Faulkner that could guide me to the light?  I'm counting on every and all thoughts to help me decide my Fable fate!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES