It's Not Just Another Day

Since Sunday my life has been in chaos.  I barely know what day of the week it is and I keep running and going.

It's Thursday, September 11th.  With everything that is going on in my little world, it was just another day.

But it's not.

I dragged myself out of bed this morning (not easy after a long day yesterday which included work, hospital visit and back to school night).  It was raining a little, but I still went out on my daily walk, figuring I could always turn back if it got too bad.

It didn't.  So I kept going.  Not as fast or as far as I usually might do, but still I was out there doing my every day thing.

Then I turned onto our main thoroughfare.  The center of town/civic center consists of the municipal building, the library and the middle school, which forms a semi-circle.  In the center is a large patch of lawn.   On the patch of lawn there is a statue of a dough boy (that's a WWI term...Google it).To the right of the middle school (towards the avenue) is a small, but beautiful tribute to the twin towers.  It is in this area where you'll find summer concerts, the winter Fair in the Square and Memorial Day services.

Today when I walked by, the patch of green was not green.  It was covered in tiny American flags.  A tribute to all those lost 13 years ago.  It took my breath away. I wished it was lighter so I could have taken a photo.  (Thankfully others have: http://www.myveronanj.com/2014/09/11/flags-honor-911-dead/).

I have been caught up in my own personal hell this week.  I wasn't going to write anything or post today because I was tired and am completely focused on my father.  But this tribute was a reminder. Even in the middle of our own personal hells, we need to pause and remember.


Thank you to those who took the time last night to put up this memorial that forced me to stop for a moment.  To stop and remember.  Because no matter what might be going on, we need to remember.  And on a day where I know I will be running, going and doing with no moment to pause, I did.  I remembered.  No matter what is going on in my life in the years to come, I will remember this day and this tribute.  I will pause.  I will remember.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES