Challenges

Life is full of challenges; some big and some little.  Most feel big, even if they are little in the long run (like losing 5-10 pounds).

I've faced more than my share over the past few years.  I've bitched and whined, even though I know there are those who are much worse off than I am and face even greater challenges.  But despite my complaining, I have faced these challenges as best as I could.  Head on and full steam ahead is how I try to roll.  Not always, but almost.  It's easy to get discouraged, but pushing ahead hard and fast is my modus operandi.   It may not be the best way to go about it all the time, but it is usually the way I go and for the most part it works for me.

Several weeks ago my family was slapped with yet another challenge when my father suddenly fell seriously ill.  The rapidness of situation was scary as what seemed to be a stomach bug became even more severe and resulted in his admission to the ICU at our local hospital.

As always, I plunged right in.  There was not a lot I could do, so I did what I could.  I helped my mom.  I made calls and sent out emails (something I continue to do).  After work I visit my dad and try to feed him some dinner.

Twelve days later, he is still in the hospital, but out of ICU.  When they moved him from one unit to the next, it seemed as though things were progressing in the right direction. I even bought him some mini sized Milky Way bars figuring that his appetite would be coming back and he'd be tired of applesauce and vanilla pudding and ready for something that tasted good (even if it wasn't the most nutritious option). But then he started to slip a little.  I figured it was just the stress of moving (and sitting up in a chair versus being stuck in the bed that had been his "home" for over a week).  But things continued to move backwards instead of forward.  It was a challenge for him and for all of my family as we thought the path would be long but one where he was continually moving forward.

But that is not the case.  Life challenges do not move forward in the straight line; there are curves and directions are reversed.  It is a difficult battle as we struggle up the hill.  When we finally reach the top, I, for one, will be grateful and will try to remember to take a moment to look back and see how far we have come.


I'm not a fan of challenges, but they are part of life.  And in hindsight, they make me appreciate what I have all the more.  I just can't wait for this particular one to be over and hope that life will throw me (and my family) a little breather before lobbing the next challenge my way.

Comments

  1. Sending hugs of strength to you and your family, Beth.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Moving