National Grandparents Day

It's the holiday that sneaks up on me every year.  It's the Sunday after Labor Day and for some reason I can never remember that it's coming until it's too late.

Apparently Grandparents Day was initiated in the 1970 and President Carter declared the holiday by signing a proclamation in 1978.  I must have been a bad granddaughter because I don't remember ever doing anything special for Grandparents Day.  (Maybe Hallmark was not making cards for the holiday at the time.)  Which is a shame because I had a good set and a half of grandparents.  I'm proud to say that I, along with my family live in the house that my maternal grandparents purchased back in 1924.  We may have changed many things since my grandparents lived here. (Although not enough, that list I made back in the mid 1990s of renovations that I'd like to do within 10 years has never been touched and I don't know if we'll ever have the financial resources to take care of them.)  At times I can still feel my grandparents around me and how things "used to be".

I became more aware of the day once I became a parent. I honestly tried to make sure that the occasion was marked appropriately. I'm pretty sure I failed the first year.  After all, my son had been born only five weeks earlier (give or take) and my mind was definitely not focused.  But since then I've tried to remember and at least get cards for both sets of grandparents.  Although even when I do get cards, I tend to forget about the whole thing until the last minute and then in a rush mail them out and pray that they reach their destination in time.

I don't want to forget Grandparents Day.  My son is lucky enough to have two sets of wonderful grandparents.  As a matter of fact if it weren't for them, we wouldn't have him.  They each helped "finance" a grandchild in their own way. Adoption is NEVER cheap, nor is raising a child.  They've been there often financially, and always emotionally.  They have helped shape my son into the wonderful child that he is do day. Both sets of grandparents have been integral in my son's life.  And I wouldn't have it any other way.

So Happy Grandparents Day!  Thank you for all that you've done and will continue to do.  We love you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Moving