Reflection for the Third Week In Advent

The lectionary passages for the third week in Advent are:   


  • Isaiah 61:1-4, 8-11, 
  • Psalm 126 or Luke 1:46b-55 ,  
  • 1 Thessalonians 5:16-24,  
  • John 1:6-8, 19-28


  • I'm afraid of the unknown.  Change makes me uneasy.  My day to day routine is comfortable.  I think that's the case for most people. But then there is Mary, mother of Jesus.  A virgin who finds herself with child and is visited by an angel.  How can that be anything, but terrifying?  Yet, Mary says (or sings):  My soul glorifies the Lord 47   and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, 48 for he has been mindful    of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, 49    for the Mighty One has done great things for me—     holy is his name."  Mary takes one of the most frightening things that could happen to hear and faces it with joy. There are so many ways she could have reacted, but she embraces what is to be.  She trusts in God and in herself.

    How could our lives be different if we approached change, if not necessarily with joy, but perhaps with joyful anticipation?  Or, at the very least, without apprehension, but excitement.  (Not unlike a child anticipates the first day of school or Christmas.)
    With prayer, we can face circumstances that are less than ideal.  God DOES have great things in mind for all of us.  If we could keep that wrapped up in our hearts perhaps joy would be easier to come by. 

    Application:  As you face uncertainty during the week, ask God to give you the strength to see the good that might come, instead of fearing the worst.  Know that God always walks with you no matter where the path might lead.  How could/did this change your way of thinking and acting?



    I



    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Not Guilty

    Please Don't Ask Me...

    Lowe's LIES