Bfth's Pumpkin Spice Season Rules and Regulations

A friend recently sent me this:





As the picture correctly indicates, pumpkin spice should NOT magically appear until September. 

Dunkin' Donuts recently announced its multitude of pumpkin spice products that would hit the stores before the end of August.  Hold on there!  Pumpkin spice is the flavor of fall.  While deploying it before the official start of autumn (September 22 this year) is permitted, pumpkin spice in August is a definite no no in Bfth's book.  I'm wondering if it's hypocritical for me to even discuss this subject in a blog before September! Pumpkin spice (which has very little to do with pumpkin) and should only be available from September 1 - Thanksgiving  weekend. 

Anyone who knows me, knows that I LOVE Pumpkin Spice.  But like many things in my slightly twisted mind, there are rules to be followed when it comes to this awesome flavor.

As a unique and special flavor, not all things lends themselves properly to pumpkin spice.  Pumpkin spice cakes, donuts, muffins, and of course pies are all good.  Most baked goods lend themselves well to pumpkin spice, but pumpkin spice bagel?  I don't think so.  (According to Bfth's bagel regulations; bagels should only be available as:  Plain, onion and/or garlic, salt, sesame seed, poppy, everything [a combination of salt, sesame seed and poppy] and the occasional cinnamon raisin.  All other flavors are an abomination of a proper bagel, which of course needs to be boiled AND baked, otherwise it is not a true bagel.  There is more to a bagel than just being a hard roll with a hole in the middle of it.)

Pumpkin spice cream cheese is okay (cheesecake anyone?), but pumpkin spice pudding is not.  Don't get me started on pumpkin spice marshmallows, yogurt or ice cream!

I'm on the fence with pumpkin spice breakfast cereals and foods.  Oatmeal seems okay, after all it is a warming food perfect for a crisp autumn morning, but I'm not so sure about pumpkin spice Cheerios.

Pumpkin spice coffee and coffee creamer is a must for the autumn, but ONLY hot.  Pumpkin spice tea is not acceptable.  Try apple cinnamon for a fall tea flavor; again hot only.  Apple Spice iced tea?  I think NOT!

I'm not a beer drinker, but I'm thinking a pumpkin spice ale might be acceptable.  I confess I tried a pumpkin spice wine once.  Do yourself a favor and DON'T do it!

So remember, with the advent of September, embrace pumpkin spice!  But do it wisely.  It is a flavor to be cherished for a short period of time.   After Thanksgiving, it should  magically disappear, and be replaced with the winter holiday flavors, chocolate peppermint and sugar cookie.




Comments

  1. I don't like pumpkin at ALL! You pumpkin people enjoy it while you can :) (I like garlic on my everything bagels too!-Now I want a bagel.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Moving