I Wish The Ice Cream Truck Would Go Away

With the advent of spring and warmer weather comes the ice cream truck.  There are actually two in the town.  Each plays their own annoying little tune.  My son claims that one is better than the other.  I don't know why.  But I do know that he will only go running after one.  I think most kids on our block would run after both.

Autumn will be upon us in just a few short weeks and I wish the truck would go away.  Or at least not come by our block so often (which is a couple of times a week).  I understand why he, or I should say they, since there are two trucks, do.  I live on a short block where there are plenty of kids.  There is always someone who will get ice cream.  Pull up on our block and you are guaranteed at least 2 or 3 sales.  On a good day you'll get a dozen.  Everyone needs to make a living.  In the grand scheme of things, the ice cream man's season is short and certainly he needs to make every dollar that he can.  I don't begrudge him that.

There's something about the ice cream truck that just pulls the kids in.  There may be ice cream in the freezer, but it's just not the same.  Or so I'm told.  It's the adventure of getting that overpriced pop from the truck. I'm sure it does taste better than anything I could pull out of my refrigerator.  It's not just the treat, it's the whole process.  It's the experience.  It's part of being a kid in the summer.  I get it.

Yet I wish the ice cream truck would go away.  And it's not just because of the annoying little tinny tunes that come along with the truck.  It's the cost.  One little pop is $2-$3 dollars.  Not a lot I know.  But I can get a whole box of the same treat at the supermarket for the same price or less.  

I don't want to come off as a Grinch or a heartless penny pincher, but when I look at my weekly paycheck...well those couple of dollars add up.  But it's nearly impossible to turn a pleading kid down.  Especially when all of his friends are getting ice cream.  And if he doesn't and everyone else does...well, then how do you feel?

Even worse, I live on a street where the neighbors’ hearts, as well as their wallets, are full and open.  If I don't run out to buy a pop, there will be some generous soul who will graciously buy my son a treat.  And then I feel incredibly guilty.  It's not fair to them.  They are generous.  They are caring.  And I feel like crap for letting them time and time again buy my child a treat.

 When the truck comes again, I want to treat everyone, just as they have treated us.  And the costs quickly add up.  My son might say, "It's only $20."  What he doesn't know is that to me, $20 is still a lot of money.  (And thankfully with the cost of gasoline these days, I'm able to fill my tank once a week with that $20.)  As I'm trying not to invade the small savings that I have and still pay all the bills, I'm loathe to have $20 slip through my fingers.

Maybe I'm being petty.  I want to be a generous person.  I'd like to think that deep in my heart I am.  It's just that as the old adage goes, money doesn't grow on trees.  (Oh how much easier it would be if it did.)  If I don't buy I feel guilty.  If I do, I resent the fact that I've let the money slip through my fingers for a few minutes of pleasure for my child.  (Although the joy on his face and the faces of his friends is priceless.  Which makes it even harder for me.  These kids are so good.  And they do enjoy and appreciate what has been given to them.)


My life would just be easier if the ice cream truck would just go away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES