Drink the Wine

 


 Last week my cousin came from across the country for a visit.  We rarely get to see each other (living in different time zones is only part of it) and it was a treat to spend some time with them, especially since when we usually get together it's for a sad occasion.  (Their father and my father were brothers; both of which are now deceased.)

This time that was not the case.  My one cousin had never met my son and the other had only met him when he was a little boy.  (He's not so little anymore!)  However, they were not just on the east coast to see us; they wanted to spend time with our respective father's remaining sibling.  And while we were all spending time together, we also did some organizing.  Because life gets away from all of us and getting organized and taking care of the non-day to day easily gets put off.  (https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2024/03/take-care-of-yourself.html).  It's something that we all do and while I'm trying to rectify it in my own house; I am also guilty of not being as organized and on top of things as I should be.  (That's hard to admit as I pride myself on being a planner, but...)

The spouse of our mutual relative had passed away in the midst of the pandemic, so taking care of the non-essentials had been understandably put off.  My cousins and I wanted to help with some of that.  (We ALL need help at various times in our lives:  https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2019/09/give-take-help.html and https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2021/01/support-network.html)  While my cousins and I were poking around, we found several high end bottles of wine in a storage space that was not easily accessible.  The bottles had obviously been stored there for quite a long time and the corks were deteriorating.  (I'll have to do my research and see if this wine is still viable.)  My relative's spouse was a wine connoisseur and an expert on fine spirits.  The bottles had obviously been purchased for a special occasion and were either forgotten about or an occasion never arose.

There's nothing wrong with storing extra items for use when you may need them.  Having extra cans of staples around the house is good planning; especially if you live in an area where you might not be able to get to a grocery store for items if there is a storm or other weather event.  (These days, that means just about everywhere.)  However, nothing lasts forever.  Those cans of soup can't sit on your pantry shelf for years.  Just about every food item has an expiration date.  Expired items are not going to help you when you are hungry and your pantry is nearly empty. So rotate your stock and keep an eye on it.  If the date has passed, you can't donate to your local food pantry, you need to throw it out.  Which is a waste of your money and resources.  Keep an eye on what you have and when that date is getting close; use it and then replace it. 

There is also nothing wrong with saving something for a special occasion.  I know that many couples freeze a piece of their wedding cake to enjoy on their first anniversary.  That's great, but don't forget to thaw and eat that cake on that special day.  And if you forget, do it the next time you need a sweet.  Don't leave it in the freezer where it will eventually become inedible.

 Any day can be a special occasion to enjoy.  Drink the wine.  Eat your cake.  Eat, drink and be merry (in moderation)!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES