Travels & Transportation

 Even before Covid hit, I didn't travel a lot.  As previously mentioned in https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2024/09/fly-away.html, I haven't flown in over 8 years and then it was with my family.  So this time was a big change for me and I was definitely out of my comfort zone.  While I will be writing about my vacation, I thought I'd put forth a few observations on all the modes of transportation I experienced during my vacation.  

  • Car Service to and from Newark Airport:  For the first time I had to hire a car service to get me to the airport.  (In the past I have used the services of a friend, who is no longer able to drive.)  I got the recommendation from friend for a company that she uses.  I thought they were a bit expensive for what I needed (but then again I think everything is expensive).  My pick up time was at 4 in the morning.  (A killer, I know.  My alarm was set for 3:20, but I was awake around 1:30 and that was that for me.)  The driver texted me the night before to let me know his name and vehicle.  (Liked that.) The driver was there at ten to four!  He surprised me by NOT taking the parkway or the turnpike to the airport, but a local highway with traffic lights.  However, it being so early, we got there quickly, so there was no problem.  Coming home a different experience.  I had no confirmation text the day before or even that morning and emailed from the plane to confirm.  I did get a text right before I landed saying that he'd be waiting for my text when I was ready to come out of the airport.  It took me a while before I was able to get my luggage (is getting luggage off the carousel EVER not slow?)  I texted once I was outside, telling him what door and what I was wearing.  He said he'd be there in 5 minutes.  It took a little longer, but it was a busy time of day so...The drive home took nearly an hour because the driver decided to follow whatever map/gps settings he had and did not take the parkway, turnpike OR highway, but local roads through Newark.  Schools had let out (there are a LOT of schools) and afternoon rush hour traffic (which starts as early as 3 PM in Newark) clogged everything up.  I was NOT a happy camper, as I wanted to get home.  I realize traffic cannot be helped, but you can be smarter about it.
  • Airline:  Flew Jetblue as they are convenient and the least expensive carrier (even with paying for a bag).  I was surprised at the lines that early in the morning (although it was a Saturday). There was a line to get to the machine that would print out your baggage tag (I think they need more machines) and then you had to stand in line to hand over your luggage.  This, along with going through security (and picking the wrong line because the baggage scanner got "stuck" and no bags were coming through for 5 or so minutes.  (Which would have been less of an annoyance if the floor weren't so cold).  By the time I got to the gate, it was almost time to board. (Good thing...less time for me to worry).

    Flight down was packed (hence the mask both going and coming), but pleasant.  I didn't know how to work my seatback tv.  (Should have asked; would have made the time go faster.)  We arrived on time at Terminal C in Orlando (which almost exclusively caters to JetBlue), so I was happy.  On my return flight, since the terminal is pretty exclusive, my check in went much faster.  And the wait for security for so short (less than 10), that I didn't even bother to wait for my reserved time.  (Yes Orlando airport lets you reserve a time to go through security:  https://mco.clearme.com/new?organization=620bf3fb68b5dd0047f6f020&place=620bf838ff11d36c7d566399 which is a great idea in my book and I'd like to thank my friend and Disney roomie for letting me know about it.) I had plenty of time to shop (yes, I bought something while I was there) and read before getting ready to board.  And then came the news that the flight was being delayed from noon to 1:43.  Maybe 20 minutes later there was another update that the flight would now be at 1:01.  (Better)  Then 20 minutes before the original flight time, the time went back to noon!  Have no idea what happened, but I was glad as Hurricane Helene was in the neighborhood and I wanted to get out.  We DIDN'T take off at noon (how could you get a full plane loaded in that limited amount of time), but we were off the ground by 12:30.  My seatback tv worked for the most part.  (It crapped out for a while, but eventually I did get to watch a few things and distract myself.)  The charging port for my phone did not, but...I was just glad to get out of the path of a hurricane and back to NJ.  (And I was NOT the annoying woman who immediately jumped up and ran to the bathroom when the plane touched down.)

  • Shuttle to and from Disney:  Used Mears shuttle, which was very economical.  Of course that also means a wait.  (Boy do I miss Disney's magical express so I didn't have to deal with luggage and went directly to the resorts). I checked in and waited.  When the bus finally came, it was difficult to understand the person making the announcement.  I just followed some people and made sure we would go to the Boardwalk. Going to the resort, there were 3 stops before we got to mine (the last as always).  Heading home we were the first to pick up and there were 2 other Disney Resort stops and then one off property hotel/resort.  The ride to the airport seemed much longer than the ride to it.  (We were a half an hour in before we were even off of Disney property.)  Thankfully Terminal C was the first stop and I was the only person going there, so...
  • Disney Transportation:
    • Buses:  My least favorite mode of transportation since I travel to and from work on a bus.  Plus there's nothing "special" about a bus.  Nonetheless, we used the bus to AK and MK and there were no additional stops or pick-ups.  Buses seemed quicker than usual so I can't complain.
    • Boats: 


      With the Boardwalk in between Epcot and Hollywood Studios, this would be the most used method of transportation.  We did walk to Epcot, but not to Hollywood.  The boat is slow, but relaxing.  Had no issues except on my last night coming back.  It was an extra hours night and a boat pulled away as I was getting to the dock.  It was at least a 20 minute wait (not unacceptable, but my feet really wished the boat came earlier).  I sat in the back (knowing that I'd be the last stop) and it was awful.  Not because of anything about the boat, but there was an obnoxious guy who insisted on standing where they tell you not to, mansplained to his girlfriend why the boat was backing up (and getting it completely wrong) and complained about the smell of diesel (well if you're going to be by the motor...).   I was so glad when they got off (and that they weren't staying at the Boardwalk).  
    • Skyliner:



        Because I had never done this, we walked to Epcot and took it to Hollywood studios.  (Stopping at resorts along the way.)  Definitely the slowest way to go, but relaxing. (Unless you do something stupid like hitting the silver button for emergencies; which I did thinking it had something to do with fact that we were getting no sound from the speakers and only realizing after I hit it that it said for emergencies only.  Sigh! I was that woman.  CRAP!)  It gave me a new view of things and I liked it (for the most part).  The Skyliner is a reason to stay at the Caribbean Beach Resort or maybe even Pop Century or Art of Animation.  (I don't think I'd care for the Riviera...it looks too much like a generic hotel and Disney resorts, no matter what level, SHOULD have theming.  Disney resorts should be unique so that you want to try them all!)
    • Monorail: 

      My favorite mode of transportation and one of the reasons I love to stay at the Contemporary.  I actually walked through Epcot solely to take the monorail to the TTC and then switch over to the resort monorails to check them out as I always do.  (I will write about resort impressions at a later date.)  I LOVE the monorail, but was disappointed that much of the "canned" spiels are gone.  Rarely did I hear "Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor mantente alejado de las puertas."  It's a MUST for me.    The monorails make Disney special and so do the recordings.  Right?

 Now that I am back and in "reality" (meaning when I take a bus I'm NOT going to the Magic Kingdom), boy do I miss ALL those modes of transportation.  But there will be a next time...right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not About Starbucks (or is it)?

As Is

Dear Mom & Dad: Coming to a Close