Snow Day Thank You

I think we've all had enough of the snow, haven't we?  Today's storm wasn't too bad when it came to inches of snow, but the sleet and freezing rain that came after made today a treacherous one.   It's been a long tough winter for so many of us.  As much as I can't stand the cold and ice, and as much as I complain (and I DO complain), I thought it was a good time to count my blessings and say thank you.

  • To the town Board of Education:  Thank you for cancelling school today.  I usually hate when we have to call a snow day, but with today's ice this was definitely the right call.  With the storm coming, they were proactive by calling for a delayed opening and promising an update if needed by 7 AM.  An update WAS needed and was received.  Thanks for keeping our kids safe today.  And...
  • In the same vein, thank you to our Superintendent, who saw what was coming and sent out an email last night modifying the school calendar.  While nobody likes vacation days being taken away, our February break was only 3 days any way.  Having half days on Friday and Tuesday while keeping the Presidents Day holiday was the right call.  Not the easy one, but the right one.  True, we are only a week away from what used to be a week long break, but no one could foresee all the bad weather that we have been having.  (And if anyone could, would we have actually believed him or her?).  Just hoping that we won't have to take away from spring break.  (Again I say, haven't we all had enough of the snow and ice???)
  • Thank you to the township for keeping us up to date with emails and text messages.  Although I think everyone SHOULD know overnight parking on the street is prohibited during a snowstorm (which is the norm in my town), sending out a reminder is the responsible thing to do.  And sending out a message asking people to remove their cars from the roadways during the day so that plowing could be done was another good move, which brings me to...
  • The Department of Public Works:  thank you for all the hard work that you do.  Yes, I do hate it and complain when you come down my street and I know there will be a huge pile of ice, snow and slush in front of my driveway, but I also know that it can't be helped.  Although this has been a rough winter for all of us, I know it must be particularly difficult for those who do the plowing and who have been out there more times than I care to count.
  • Thank you to the president of the company I work for who called me (and I'm sure every employee -- it's a pretty small company) to tell me that I was not needed for work today.  In all honesty, I've been battling a pretty bad cold and was going to take a sick day today, but getting that call and knowing that my safety was more important than a warm body being in an office is appreciated.  During the past few storms, I've gone to work because I felt I could and knew that if during my drive I felt unsafe I could call in and say that I wasn't coming in and could do so without being made to feel guilty.  It's important for everyone to know that while a job is important, personal safety comes first.
  • Thank you to my father for buying a new snowblower a few years back.  Back in 1972 my grandfather bought a snowblower for my father and it had been used (and probably a bit abused) for many years.  My father was wise enough to buy a new one several years back (three or four years) that was much lighter and more efficient.  I can't imagine how we would have managed to survive this winter without it.
  • To my neighbors:  thank you for being such a wonderful community.  Where else might you have dueling snowblowers?  I have neighbors who plow and/or shovel up and down the public sidewalks...and the sidewalks seem to go one forever when you're shoveling.  I am no fan of the snow, but I do like the sense of community it brings out on my little dead end street.  As we shovel away there is plenty of waving, good will and chit chatting.  If one has to be out dealing with the snow, I'm glad that I have such good people around me.
  • To anyone reading this blog:  thank you for your comments and feedback; for reading.  If you're stuck in this winter freeze like I am, keep the faith, spring is coming in just 42 days (as of the writing of this).  If you're NOT stuck in this winter freeze and are enjoying some warm weather:  why haven't you invited me to come visit you? :)

Comments

  1. Thanks for the note, I've been having an extremely challenging few weeks and I think if I took some time to do the same thing as you did it might do me some good...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES