Palm Sunday: I NEED to Celebrate



Palm Sunday:  a time to celebrate Christ's arrival into Jerusalem.  I know many churches (mine included) that begin the service on a high note and then end on a more solemn one as Christians prepare for Holy Week.  I think that's important because there is more to the story than just a triumphant arrival and resurrection.  There is suffering, pain, and conflict during the week that starts with the joy of Palm Sunday and ends with the miracle of Easter.  We need to know that.  We need to reflect on it during the week. We need to know the FULL story.  That there is more to it than just Palm Sunday and Easter.

But for now, I need to celebrate.  While I know of the dark journey in the week ahead, I don't want to cloud the meaning and importance of this day.  I want to sing.  I want to wave palm branches.  I want to shout loud Hosannas.  I wanted to join the procession with all the elation that I have.  

I imagine the jubilation that must have been felt as Christ came into Jerusalem.  I want to feel that energy.  I want to LIVE that energy TODAY.

I have been participating in an active Lent.  I have been reflecting on what these 40+ plus days mean.  I have given up items that tempt me (or at least I have tried to).  I have given of myself (or at least I have tried to).  On Palm Sunday, I NEED to celebrate, even though I know of the darkness that is ahead.

I need to focus on this moment.  To feel the warm sun on skin.  To smell the flowers as they bloom.  To see all that nature has to offer as it comes alive again.  The winter has passed; the spring is here. I cannot let this moment pass me by.  I need to drink it in and let it fill me with exhilaration.

I am reminded of this passage from Matthew:  While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of Simon the Leper, a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table. When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. “Why this waste?” they asked. “This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor.” Aware of this, Jesus said to them, “Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me. 

Palm Sunday is just one day.  I need to celebrate THIS day.  There will be tomorrow.  But we cannot ignore the now.  That this is THE day that Jesus rode in triumph. There may be dark days ahead, but we need to live in this moment now. 

Celebrate this day.  Be thankful for it.

Hosanna!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES