Not Entitled: I'll Never Be "Famous"

Thank you for reading this blog, whoever you are.  If Google statistics are to be believed, there aren't that many people out there who read this.  I'm thinking the Google number is actually inflated and I've noticed a drop in the numbers now that Google+ has gone the way of the dinosaur.  But that is not the point of my regular blog postings.  I write because...I write.  It's just something that I do like breathing or eating.  Actually eating would be more apropos because I can go for a time without eating or writing, but eventually I HAVE to come back.  Sometimes I eat good things; sometimes not.  The same could be said for what I write.  There are times when I write and I think what I've done is incredible and other times...not so much.  And when I do look at my statistics, I'm often surprised to find what draws people in and what doesn't.  Which just goes to show...you don't!

While it would be nice to be rich and/or famous (REALLY NICE), this blog is not going to get me there.   The reasons why are varied:  I don't have connections, my writing is not "good" enough, etc.  I *think* a big part might be that I don't focus on one specific topic.  This is not a food blog.  This is not a music blog.  It is a "ME" blog and so topics vary from post to post.  And that really sums me up in a way:  I am a jack of all (or many) trade and a master of none.  (Although I'd like to think I am master of SOME.)  The phrase might have been a put down at one time, but today I think it's vital to have a lot of knowledge about a lot of things and not necessarily be THE ONE.  I'm never going to a "diva" because I'm NOT a Diva.  (Does that make sense?)

Over the weekend, I attended a convention where there were plenty of divas (definition here:  a self-important person who is temperamental and difficult to please) both male and female, but very few (either male or female) had the talent to be Diva or Divo (definition: a famous singer).  Surprisingly few who could be considered a Diva or Divo (and here I'm not just including singing talent, but musical, verbal, etc.) were down to earth.  When I think back it was actually very few.  A sad state of affairs. That is not to say these people didn't have talent; it's just that the self-importance was in high overload and the talent and/or dedication to the craft was on a lower tier.  

I'm never going to be an expert on anything.  I have expertise on a wide variety of subjects, but I'm not, nor do I want to be the definitive expert.  Truth be told, there really isn't ONE person who is an expert on a specific subject, but many.  (If the "expert" is a diva; watch out!)  I feel that I am qualified to be on a panel of "experts" on a variety of subjects; and I would certainly do some brushing up before I spoke.  (As any good panel member would.) I will NEVER command the stage and be THE subject matter expert NOR would I want to.  I'm much happier just being me.  

And who I am is a mishmash of things.  I don't ask for much.  (Although I WILL admit that I'd LIKE a lot more than I have.)  I believe that I am just as good as the next person.  I TRY not to demand, but will ask for something if I feel it is needed.  (Go behind the scenes at a show or convention and see egos that are so inflated they could be a balloon in Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade.)  We've all heard that we should treat the janitor the same way we would treat a CEO or in other words, treat others as you wish to be treated.  Well, I've seen people who never learned that lesson and in some small way I pity them because someday karma is going to come back and teach them that lesson the hard way.  (It may not be instant karma!)  As it says in Proverbs 11:2 "When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom."  I'd like to think I'm continually working my way to wisdom.

So what is the point or lesson of today's rambling? A couple of things:
  • It's ok to be you; whoever you are.
  • It's NOT ok to act self-important
  • You may be an expert on a subject, but so is someone else and that's ok.
  • Stick to the golden rule:  do unto others as you would have done unto you.
  • If you don't...be prepared to get a rude awakening someday.  Seriously!

As always, thanks for reading!  I hope you'll come back for more!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES