Is Summer over?


I know that summer doesn't officially end until September 21st (and officially started on Jun 21st) but I think most of us would agree that the summer season really begins around Memorial Day and wraps up by Labor Day, if not earlier. Kids go back to school in August. My own son goes back for his senior year college this weekend. The idea of summer quickly coming to a close feels real. As a matter of fact I know of a child in town who has already started his school year! I have already started to see the school buses out and about. Certainly that is a sign of autumn even though the calendar tells us no. 

 It has been a strange summer. There have been a few really hot days, as would you come to expect with a summer months, but mostly it has been wet. While we all know that in the east of the United States it usually does get very humid over the summer months, this year the humidity was more than usual and this year the rain was…A LOT!  We are all used to pop up storms during the summer. It used to be the bane of my existence. I wanted to open the windows when I went to work to let whatever air flow in and cool down the house, but there was always a threat of a storm. If I closed up the house, the storm would inevitably miss us. If I didn't, there was always a mess to clean up when I got home. This is something my son found out this year as he left windows open when he went off to work and the rains came. And they came, they came! 

 This has been the summer of wet mess. Of storms that took down trees and knocked out power for days. I realize my own experience was not that bad, but using our generator for limited power early in July made me nervous. The generator ran non-stop for approximately 18 hours. I wasn't sure if that was something it should be doing! It also opened my eyes to the fact that I should probably get the system looked at and tuned up, which we did. Thankfully even though it is an older unit, it is still in pretty good shape. Nonetheless it cost me more money than I expected, but isn't that always the case these days? 

 With so much rain this summer it's been hard to get out and enjoy the things that we do when the weather is warmer. I have still managed to get out many days to go for my walks, but not as much as I would have liked. There were still days where I was able to go out and enjoy my garden (which was an overgrown mess due to all the weather and lack of a reliable landscaper until July) but not as much as I would have liked. 

 This summer seems to be one of missed opportunities/activities. The rain held me, and I'm sure others, back from attending activities both outdoor and indoor. Events were canceled due to the weather. The events that were held were dampened, at least in my opinion 

 Summer, in my mind, has always been about fun and celebration. This year has our country was supposedly celebrating with 250th anniversary, but there didn't seem to be much to celebrate. How could we celebrate with all the evil and destruction going on not just in our world, but in our backyard? How could we have neighborhood parties we weren't sure that our neighbors would be snatched up ICE (and it didn't matter if they were US citizens or not). How could we say let freedom ring, when it wasn't ringing? How could we say liberty and justice for all when pledging to the flag when there isn't? (One of the reasons I haven't put up in mine is because I feel it has been damaged and no longer stands for what it should stand for. How I want to put the flag back up and to proclaim liberty and justice for all once again. Well I am not naive enough to think that the phrase perfectly embodied our country, it did once, for the most part, stand or something.)

 It was the summer where I rarely saw my son. He managed to find a job over the summer (actually a job that they never wanted him to leave but that's another story) so the only time I saw him was when I went back to New Jersey for work. He was working retail and his schedule varied from week to week. However for the most part we could manage dinner Monday, Tuesday, and sometimes Wednesday nights. His “summer vacation” was certainly not a vacation. He was supposed to come to the Poconos and celebrate my birthday with me for 4 days but could not get the time. His own 21st birthday celebration meant that he only got several hours of sleep between going out to party and heading back to work the next day. He did manage to get to the Jersey shore for one brief day, but it certainly wasn't a real vacation or what you might have expected for the summer. 

 And so as the summer unofficially winds down, I look back and think what happened to my summer? While it did have its ups, like celebrating my Aunt Julie's 100th birthday and recognizing my son officially becoming an adult earlier this month with dinner and cake, for the most part this has been a pretty crappy summer. Not at all what I think any of us wanted or hoped for.

 But there is still hope for the fall. Early autumn has always been my favorite time. Maybe we can still enjoy some sunny days ahead. Maybe the cooler months will bring us closer to something good. At least I hope that that is. At least I hope there will be another summer next year, and maybe that one will be better than this one. Maybe that one will make us all feel like celebrating.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday's Special Surprise

Vaccine

(Almost) Fully Furnished: Life at Bfth's Pocono Perfection.