Computershare Nightmare: The Saga Continues

 


When last we left Bfth & Computershare https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2024/03/i-shouldt-have-to-resort-to-x.html.

It's time for me to bring you up to date.  I swear that what I am about to write is true and I haven't been drinking (yet).

With the help of social media and maybe a little luck in finding/guessing a corporate exec's email address, I heard back from a nice person at the company's Service Intervention Unit.  (What is that?)  After a couple of emails and phone calls (yes, I actually spoke to a human being without being cut off or any annoying headphone feedback), less than I week after I wrote that last post, I was told:  "Just wanted to give you an update, we have replaced the certificate and I am currently working to complete the transfer.  I will give you an update as soon as possible."  

April arrived and I didn't hear any update, so...I followed up with this person again.  (Once I have a phone number and email address, I'm NEVER giving up.)  On April fool’s day I got this back:  "My apologies for not sending an email earlier I was out a couple of days last week for Easter. The transfer was completed on March 26 to an Individual account in your name... and you should receive a statement within the next few days."

Days turned into weeks...so I emailed again and managed to get this person to email me the letter (not a statement) which gave me, MY account information.  Yes!  The stock HAD been transferred to my name.  Shout Hallelujah!  

You might think that's the end of it...

However, since I trust Computershare as much as I trust...hmmm...I can't even think of an appropriate analogy.  Maybe as much as I trust Jason on Friday the 13th "looking after" a bunch of horny teens at Camp Crystal?  Anyway, I wanted the shares to be transferred to an entity that I DO trust and has treated me with respect while also helping me out.  That would be RBC Wealth Management, where I have an account.  (Also where both my parents had accounts and where I had NO TROUBLE moving things over to my name when they passed away.)

To do so, my trusty (and trustworthy) advisor, LK, said we'd need to call Computershare.  I so DID NOT want to do this.  But with LK on my side, I tried to be positive.

LK and I got on a conference call with a "customer service" representative last Friday.  It was not fun.  The person was difficult to understand.  The person put us on hold several times.  LK was incredibly patient and kind with this representative.  We were told there were two ways to do this and the "easiest" was electronically via ABC123.  (No, that's not the real name or thing, but that's what it sounded to this layperson.)  This was a different electronic transfer than LK (who is very knowledgeable) would usually do, but she was willing to give it a go.

Guess what?  It was rejected.  The transfer COULD NOT be done that way.

So...today, LK and I got on the phone and called Computershare again.  On her first three tries to get through, she was disconnected.  (At least she didn't have to hold 20 minutes like I did the first time I tried this only to get cut off when the rep got on the line.)  The fourth time was "the charm."  Or not.  We got a rep, but we could barely hear her.  And she couldn't hear us.  (Or so she said...how did she know we were there?)  She put us on hold to "try something."  After a couple of minutes on hold she came back.  She still couldn't hear us (or I guess hear us clearly), so she hung up.

For the fifth time LK called.  We got through (I think to the same person) and this time she COULD hear us.  She heard enough to get LK's name and address and get all my information so that we could move forward.  However, once LK started to ask questions, the line went "wonky" (that's my technical term for it) and whatever she said was garbled and echoed.  The rep hung up on us.

Clearly, calling for ANYTHING to Computershare is going to get you nowhere. What now?

I decided to email my contact (the person from the Service Intervention Unit), copy LK on the email and explain that I wanted HARD COPIES of the stock sent to RBC.  What did I need to do?

It didn't take long for her to email me back with:  With a broker transfer you have two options, LK can have the shares pulled from Computershare or you can submit a broker transfer form (attached)

 The broker transfer form must be mailed in to one of the address below with a Medallion Signature Guarantee

 

1.    By United States Postal Service:
Computershare, P.O. Box 43078, Providence, RI 02940-3078.

2.    By Overnight Courier: (FedEx/UPS/DHL, etc.) 
Computershare, 150 Royall St. Suite 101, Canton, MA 02021

 LK filled out the form for me.  She emailed it to me for my signature along with a UPS mailing label.  I signed it and took it to the nearest UPS drop off location.  LK will have it when she returns to the office on Monday.  

 In her own words..."I’m not convinced this will work, but I’m happy to try it and hope for the best."

 I can't tell you how many hours LK and I have WASTED because of Computershare.  (The "World leaders in financial administration" -- be scared...be VERY scared.)  I'm just praying that it won't be any (or many) more.

And NOW I'm ready to start drinking...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES