Deja Vu?

 


Haven't I been here before?

November 2021:  My mom is in the hospital.  My son is getting ready for the fall play.  I am trying to schedule parents to help out with the concessions at the play and planning on setting everything up.  I am in the midst of the busiest quarter of the year for work.

November 2022:  My dad is in the hospital. My son is getting ready for the fall play.  I am trying to schedule parents to help out with the concessions at the play and planning on setting everything up.  I am in the midst of the busiest quarter of the year for work.

Seems like I am doing the same dance over again.

Back in November 2021 my mother was in the hospital for an issue and some testing.  In November 2022 my father is in the hospital for an issue and some testing.

Definitely the same dance.

On Sunday I went to see my father.  I brought my husband with me.  I wanted to see if he could fix the dishwasher.  I was hopeful.  I was right...it was a seemingly easy fix (especially when you are able to find a YouTube video to help out).  The two of us were there for about 2 hours and did a few things around the house.  (Like making sure there was a shovel on the front porch...maybe that will stave off the snow for this upcoming season...fingers crossed.)  We had some good conversation.  We made plans for post-Thanksgiving (because going down there on Thanksgiving isn't the best plan).  My dad continues to have the same health issues he's had since last November (and even before that) and (unfortunately) they are not getting better.  This is through no one's fault other than time.  Aging does not make life easier; especially when you have health issues.

When I saw him on Sunday, he had planned to call his physician on Monday, which he did.  And not unlike with my mother, the doctor said he should go to the hospital.  Which he did.  Like my mother, he sat in the Emergency room all day and was eventually moved to a room late in the evening.  He'll be there for a day or two.

This is all very familiar.  Too familiar?  

As they say, it is what it is.  (I don't know if I love that phrase or hate it.)

The blessing is that he has his cell phone and is very capable in using it.  So I am getting regular updates.  (Something that I was not getting with my mom.)  I have my phone with me at all times (or at least I try to) and am here for him whenever he might need me.  This might mean some creative time shifting (since my son's play runs Thursday-Saturday), but I can make it work. I can make it work with help.  I am blessed that I have help and resources.  Additionally, I have the experience, so I know what I might expect.

Turns out deja vu might be a blessing after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES