I'm Not a Cow, So Don't Put Me In a Herd

This morning a friend of mine posted a link to a political story and commented:  "How could any woman actually be a _________? The only explanation I can come up with is mental illness". (Yes, I purposely left out the party name.)  I didn't read the article and I have no doubt that whatever was said by whatever candidate(s) was stupid, cruel, insensitive...well you get the picture.  

I was upset (notice I didn't say offended; too many people are "offended" these days!  Get over it already!).  I am a member of __________ party.  That doesn't make me part of their herd.  It means I am a registered member and when it is primary time I vote for the person within that party who I think is the best candidate.  It DOES NOT mean that I vote for a person solely because they are a member of that party.  It DOES NOT mean I believe in EVERYTHING that the party (or candidate) believes in or says.  I am NOT a cow; I'm NOT part of a herd.  I have voted for people in the Republican Party. I have voted for people in the Democratic Party.  I have even voted for people who belong to independent parties.  Does that mean I am bi-polar?  Or perhaps tri-polar?  Who I am is not defined by one thing; not by one political party or organization.  They may influence me at times, but I am an individual. I cannot be simply defined just because of one affiliation.

I believe that we hear about the far left and the far right because it makes good press.  The sometimes (often?) wild comments that political pundits say certainly get them on the front page of the papers or on the top of the hour news recap.  The old saying is there is no bad press.  I'm not certain about that, but it certainly increases the person to the public's top of the mind awareness.

I'm not sure if there is any political candidate out there that I am in COMPLETE agreement with.  I think (and hope) that the majority of people out there feel the same way.  Maybe I am unrealistic.  Maybe I am idealistic.  I have no proof.  After all the "middle of the roaders" don't get a heck of a lot of attention.  (Who wants to read about them?)

As I have said, I have friends on both sides of the fence.  They are all entitled to their opinions.  I am too.  Calling people mentally ill because of a political party affiliation is like calling someone mentally ill because the belong to a certain religious group or social organization. (Not to mention that it also demeans those who are struggling with mental illness.)  Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, but to assume herd mentality, while it does exist,  is wrong in my book.  And that's MY opinion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES